Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Green laning around Wightwick

4 posters

Go down

Green laning around Wightwick Empty Green laning around Wightwick

Post  lin and tony Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Off roading Stephens’ style…..

Sunday 11th October - We loaded Taz into the van the night before ready for some green laning near to where Colin and Debbie live. The weather was overcast we had had some rain the week before so were hoping for some mud (yeh!).

We (Lin and I) arrived at the Stephens’s 10ish. They were ready and Debbie’s dad (Dave) was coming with the Pajero. (think he was looking forward to a day away from home!) We left, filled up with petrol and biscuits and tally ho! we were on our way. It was not long and we had to stop. Debs was navigating and she missed the turning. Anyway we got to lanes and, on a few we had to turn round. We were beginning to think that it was not going to be a very successful day. Anyway we persevered and Debs found some more which were excellent. Loads of mud, loads of slipping and sliding and pushing and pulling. Later on Debs found a lane about 2 miles long, which said it had a ford in it. The lane was great we had to stop as the Pajero wipers had packed up - so a bit of bodging and we got them going. We found a nice muddy puddle. Lin wanted us to turn round and go back so she could take some photos of us driving through. She won’t ask me again - I covered her in mud!

Going down this lane to the ford there was a scrambler with a man standing next to the rider. He stopped us and said he had parked at the other end of lane and we would not be able to get out so Colin gave him a lift to his car. Unfortunately this meant we did not have long to play in ford so we said we would go back on the way home. The next green lane we arrived at, there was some motorbikes at the gate - obviously out having fun like us - but they were not happy. The farmer had put a padlock on the gate (asshole!) After a nice chat with them, we moved on to our next destination. As we pulled off the road, the track was extremely uneven. I picked my way through - not Colin - straight in hole so we huffed and puffed and got him out. Further down this lane it was muddy, so picking my way through I lost it in the ruts. (shit!) Teach me to laugh at Colin! No mater how hard we tried, we could not get free - no trees or posts for the winch so, eventually Dave had to pull me out. Once I got free, working on the inertia theory don’t stop, keep going, I went and found hard ground about quarter mile down track, parked up and walked back to find Colin stuck. We pushed him out and with his lead foot he also used the inertia theory and left the rest of us to walk and pick his exhaust up on the way.

We then went along another couple of tracks including going over the M42 then found another rather rutted track where, after I had, once more slipped off the top of the ruts and grounded, Lin was told to get behind the wheel so we could push. Once free she was told to also use the pedal to the floor and go, trick. At the end of that track Dave left us to go home for his tea. (I think he had had enough excitement for the day) As we went onto the next track, we had to stop to let Colin change his tyre. Then on to find some more tracks. I have to say at this point that Charlie and Maisie had been so well behaved through out – It can’t have been that much fun for them at times although they did enjoy going through the water and the puddles!

We went on to find more! One went through a farmyard and along the side of a field. The byway went around the corner of the field where the track got very muddy - once again I slipped into ruts but this time with some rocking to and fro and with some pushing, I got out and decided to use the farmers field to get round and miss the deep ruts. Forgot to say, and it does need saying, Debbie was helping to push me out of mud and went flat on the floor did we show concern? Hell no - too busy laughing! ( sorry Debbs ). Anyway colins turn. He saw where I went wrong, went to miss corner and bounced back onto the track and well and truly grounded Woodstock. We could take both wheels off without the aid of a jack! This time, the only solution was to literally pick up the back end and lift it onto the field. The hi-lift was used on the front end to lift and push it in the same direction.

By now the time was getting on and the temperature had dropped so we thought it best to head home. The only thing remaining was to go to look at a ford that Colin had had been told would be impassable in a Scamp! That was a challenge if ever I heard one! We found it, and both Woodstock and Taz went through without a problem – well, Taz did start to play up after that – coughing and spluttering, but we drove on to go through the other ford on the way back to Wightwick. Right in the middle of the water, Taz decided enough was enough! Stopped dead. Water came in and up through the holes in the floor, up to a depth of several inches. The winch came in handy again. This time we attached it to Woodstock and were towed out. A bit of head scratching later and a pool of water in the dizzy was found to be the problem. Once that was sorted we decided we really had pushed our luck enough for the day and headed back to Colin and Deb’s for a lovely tea.

It was a great day. We had got away with no damage to the cars – well Colin’s exhaust came off a few times – denting the back panel on one occasion. I think a club outing might be the order of the day to try the lanes out ‘en masse.’ Green laning around Wightwick 397879
lin and tony
lin and tony

Number of posts : 594
Job/hobbies : mending our Scamp - again and again!
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Green laning around Wightwick Empty Re: Green laning around Wightwick

Post  Mk3rob Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:42 am

Blimey, i can tell you all enjoyed yourselves, thats the most that tony has "said" in one go ever Green laning around Wightwick Icon_twisted .

Wot no pub for Charlie and Massie to drag you off to Green laning around Wightwick Icon_biggrin

I would have thought that Colin would have learnt by now and just taken his exhaust off at the start Green laning around Wightwick Icon_lol
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Colin told me how much of a success the day was and i suggested our local pub for camping if he decides to organise something for next year. The landlady has offered to let us use the feild next to the pub before when I've mentioned a local Scamp do.
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:42 pm

In think Colin should turn Woodstock's manifold upside down and mount the silencer under the front bumper - Cyclops stylee Green laning around Wightwick Icon_twisted

Last edited by Martin & Nettie on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lin and tony Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 pm

TRR Motorsport wrote:Colin told me how much of a success the day was and i suggested our local pub for camping if he decides to organise something for next year. The landlady has offered to let us use the feild next to the pub before when I've mentioned a local Scamp do.

Now that definately sounds like 'a plan' What better place to stay than on a field attached to a pub?!!!! Green laning around Wightwick 221997 Green laning around Wightwick 280256 + Green laning around Wightwick 341549 Green laning around Wightwick 566536= Green laning around Wightwick 216989
lin and tony
lin and tony

Number of posts : 594
Job/hobbies : mending our Scamp - again and again!
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down