Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

The Save Donington Parade

+9
TRR Motorsport
SUMB
minislapper
Martin & Nettie
Jono
Mk3rob
RICK
OSR
ZED
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Save Donington Parade Empty The Save Donington Parade

Post  ZED Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 pm

I'm guessing that most of you petrolheads will already have your names down for this via other car clubs, but I'm putting it on here for those who haven't:

Hi all,

SELOC gate-crasher here.

I'm a regular attendee of Donington Park, and at the moment, the future looks very bleak indeed. This whole messy saga is literally keeping me awake at night, as I adore the place.

I've had an idea - allow me to C&P...

SAVE DONINGTON Parade

Sunday 7th March

I'm, personally, devastated about this whole situation at Donington Park. It is my favourite circuit, and I look forward to attending several times every year.

Since Simon Gillett got his greasy hands on the venue, I've been dreading the worst. After digging the track up, rendering it unsuitable for racing and running up massive debts, it seems this week it has happened. All the staff have been laid off, and the future is very uncertain for this wonderful, historic circuit.

I've been wracking my brains, wondering what a skint bloke, with no contacts could possibly do about this situation, and I came up with an idea...

If several dozen (even, dare-I-say-it hundreds of) Lotus-owning enthusiasts were to turn up at the circuit, it would send out a strong message.

What about if other forums/marques were contacted too, and the local TV station and newspapers?

We could demonstrate the affection the public has for the circuit, and also that it should remain the best (or, one of) national/club circuits in Britain.

This would, surely, reassure the Wheatcroft family/local council/potential investors that Donington Park not only has a fine history, but also a strong future too.

I'm aiming for a weekend in early March, as the weather should better, the days are getting longer, and there should be no clashes on the events calendar.

What I need is know is there are a good few like-minded enthusiasts out there who are prepared to sacrifice a day from their busy schedule and take a pleasant drive to the Midlands.

(Just for the record, there is also a darn-fine collection of historic racing cars, should anyone wish for a second reason to make the trip!)

If you would be able to attend, please send an email to

savedonington@live.co.uk

and let's see what we can achieve...

Cheers,

Leroy Boyce.

If anyone is a member of any other forums, please do cut and paste any posts you see fit, but please do make sure you include the email address:

savedonington@live.co.uk

I'm collecting names for the parade, and messages of support to keep the circuit for racing.

Thanks again for your support!
Leroy

I have had some interest from a local newspaper! A "racing personality" had also been mentioned. Very early days, but the ball has started rolling!

They suggested I set up a Facebook page too, so here it is, please add yourself:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=265230290785

Thanks,
Leroy

Hope to see you's there,
Elaine&Richard J. The Save Donington Parade 29227

Last edited by MESS on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

The Save Donington Parade Empty Re: The Save Donington Parade

Post  OSR Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Not sure if I can make the parade but sent out a lot of invites on facebook to drum up some more support. It'll be a travesty if it gets built over.
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  RICK Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:56 pm

There isn't many Scamps that have or are going to use the place. Lotus owners should use their own forum.
I bet you that the Lotus forum, haven't put anything about all the green lanes that have closed? SORRY but no support from me.
This is a SCAMP FORUM about Scamps and members, if we aren't too careful this forum will be full of stuff not related to Scamps.
RICK
RICK

Number of posts : 232
Job/hobbies : Green laning
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

The Save Donington Parade Empty 3rd Division

Post  Mk3rob Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:06 pm

What ever you think of Donnington, it will always be 3rd behind Silverstone (BRCC) and Brands Hatch.
Silverstone struggles to get serious backing so Donn never had a chance. The Save Donington Parade Icon_evil
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:13 pm

RICK wrote:There isn't many Scamps that have or are going to use the place. Lotus owners should use their own forum.
I bet you that the Lotus forum, haven't put anything about all the green lanes that have closed? SORRY but no support from me.
This is a SCAMP FORUM about Scamps and members, if we aren't too careful this forum will be full of stuff not related to Scamps.

For god sake, it's not just a Lotus thing, Rick! The Save Donington Parade Icon_mad I simply copied and pasted it from the Lotus site. The Save Donington Parade Icon_rolleyes If you bother to read it properly, you'll see that it's for ALL motoring enthusiasts! The Save Donington Parade Icon_twisted

Sick of the preaching!
E. The Save Donington Parade Icon_razz

P.S Quite a few Lotus owners also have 4x4's Wink
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  RICK Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:16 pm

perhaps they will turn it to a off-road site then we will support them...won't we members?
RICK
RICK

Number of posts : 232
Job/hobbies : Green laning
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Mk3rob wrote:What ever you think of Donnington, it will always be 3rd behind Silverstone (BRCC) and Brands Hatch.
Silverstone struggles to get serious backing so Donn never had a chance. The Save Donington Parade Icon_evil

But Donington has rapidly changing gradients.... The Save Donington Parade Icon_cool

E. Wink
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 pm

RICK wrote:perhaps they will turn it to a off-road site then we will support them...won't we members?

How very childish..... I'm almost embarrassed for you!

Going back to the kitchen now, where us wimmin belong,
E. The Save Donington Parade Icon_lol
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm

Elaine its called subsidence The Save Donington Parade Icon_twisted
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 pm

RICK wrote:perhaps they will turn it to a off-road site then we will support them...won't we members?

Whilst this may come as a bit of a shock to some... there are Scamp owners who have more than one "hobby". I, for one, have fond memories of Donnington...right up to the point I high-sided my bike at Redgate... The Save Donington Parade Icon_redface .....and think it would be a shame to lose such a famous circuit..however, I think it's pretty much inevitable now....too late to save it... the Locals always complained about it.. I remember being noise tested ... just as some heavy jet powered it's way into the sky.... The Save Donington Parade Icon_rolleyes
Jono
Jono

Number of posts : 386
Location : Work in the "Badlands of Oldbury".. Home amongst the little people, deep, deep in the Forest.
Job/hobbies : Professional Bodger and first-class excuse maker..... Scamp owner and club member!
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

When I was a young man i.e. before I got married the first time round I was courting my 1st wife in London and she was born in Sydnam Hill a stones throw from Crystal Palace which was a racing circuit many years ago:

Crystal Palace racing first started in 1927 when motorcycles raced around the pathways of the Park. In 1953, the Crystal Palace Circuit was opened for motor racing and, until 1973, was used by such greats as Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and many others.

From 1997-2000, once a year, part of the track was re-opened for a two-day 'sprint' meet organised by the Sevenoaks and District Motor Club. The event attracted entries from all over the country and was invariably over-subscribed, resulting in 'special interest' cars be given priority. On two occasions, the one-off Courier-Cadillac was one such entrant, gaining much spectator interest and enthusiasm.

Parts of the track are still clearly visible but, due to the close proximity of residential areas, the sound of highly-tuned exhausts would seem to have fallen silent for the last time.

Perhaps Donnington will disappear like Crystal Palace and Brooklands. The Save Donington Parade Icon_question

PS Why is there a picture of an Ostrich on Jono's Facebook profile page The Save Donington Parade Icon_question
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  minislapper Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm a bit gob smacked at some of the comments on this thread.

I don't own a Lotus, I don't even own a Scamp, I've never been green laning or off-roading but I do love Donington. And shock horror, we're not even members. Are we going to be banished from the forum? scratch

I've spent many a happy time there and we've even paraded around the track in our mini. We did the (now broken) World Record attempt at Donny a few years ago. Gray's done a single seater event there too.

Surely, we all drive cars and no matter what they are, this cause is for all motoring fans?

minislapper

Number of posts : 296
Job/hobbies : Job: Education - Hobbies: minis, motorsport and things on 4 wheels in general
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Maybe you should have posted this in the General section of the forum Elaine, that area has always been stated as open for any topic.

As a non Lotus owner I will be very sad to see the loss of such an historic racing circuit. Pre war it was a Grand Prix circuit and was a lot longer than now. It may not be as glamorous as Silverstone or Brands Hatch but it is none the less part of this countries great racing heritage. It is unfortunate that the lease holder held such unacheivable ideas as to hold the British GP there with the loss of the Moto GP, British Super Bikes and World Super Bikes to name but three world class events held there.

Also I can't see the forum being hijacked as we have good moderators keeping a watchfull eye on who is allowed to join us and post on here. I really don't like to see our members being so closed minded about other members points of veiw, it doesn't really portray a good public image to people just cruising through.
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:16 am

SUMB wrote:Maybe you should have posted this in the General section of the forum Elaine, that area has always been stated as open for any topic.

I was going to, but it is an event that folks on here are welcome to attend....... Just like the karting thread, but with more of a cause. The Save Donington Parade Icon_wink

Totally with you on what you're saying about the folks who are just cruising through Chaz. I've been a member on various club forums for well over 10yrs, but never one as cult like as this. Maybe it's just the luddite effect? The Save Donington Parade Confused The Save Donington Parade Icon_wink

Hoping for snow on the way to work,
Elaine. The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 am

Donington Parish Council is one of the wealthiest in England as it is lucky to get a share of the taxes from East Midlands Airport and Donning race circuit.

Everytime the Parish Council whinged like flop about the noise from the circuit Tom Wheatcroft would say "OK I'll shut the circuit" and unsuprisingly the Parish Council backed down everytime. The Save Donington Parade Icon_wink

Last edited by TRR Motorsport on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 am

RICK wrote:There isn't many Scamps that have or are going to use the place. Lotus owners should use their own forum.

Sometimes people say the stupidest things! The Save Donington Parade Icon_rolleyes
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

Blimey someone got out the wrong side of bed The Save Donington Parade Affraid

In a roundabout way Donington is responsible for me getting in to Scamps. Why? Well I moved to Shepshed to work for a race team who are based nearby in part because it's the most easily reached major circuit in the country. I got to know James & Leanne, Colin & Debbie, Reg & Elaine and Chaz and all their Scamps and eventually bought my own. Donington is the local circuit for many members of the club and Scamps could compete in the Grass Autotests held there by Loughborough Car Club. Does that make it Scamp related now???

Charlie
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Gray Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Elaine,

It's going on our calendar at home and barring a natural disaster we will be going to the parade !!!! The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin

Gray & Carla

Gray

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : Engineer / Mini's and motorsport
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Gray wrote:Elaine,

It's going on our calendar at home and barring a natural disaster we will be going to the parade !!!! The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin

Gray & Carla
I think we may pop along, after all we can get there in less than 6 minutes (sticking to the 30mph limits) in the Exige. The Save Donington Parade Icon_cool
Regsmonster
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 pm

I think you got your wish Elaine - we were sent home at 12.30 today and its still snowing - had to use low box in my Sorento but as its auto even with the brakes on it still wanted to go forward - must read the handbook on how to use the Tiptronic manual +/- Question why do artic drivers take their 40 tonners down an iced up B road making us all overtake The Save Donington Parade Icon_rolleyes A lad on a scamble bike overtook us all this morning - I think he had a death wish The Save Donington Parade Icon_eek
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Martin & Nettie wrote:A lad on a scamble bike overtook us all this morning - I think he had a death wish The Save Donington Parade Icon_eek

No, just more appropriate tyres! The Save Donington Parade Icon_lol

I passed 3 cars this morning on the way to Stamford. I think the Pirreli Rally tyres helped. The Save Donington Parade Icon_wink
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

The Save Donington Parade Empty RE:The Save Donnington Parade.

Post  GT3Rob Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Whilst is sad to see the demise of donnington park, i too have fond memeries of the place. Super bike races in the mid 80,s. Truck racing, various Classic days Ferrari owners club days. RS owners club days. Monsters of Rock. Plenty of exiting days for my other halves kids a walk round the pits made them feel special. All now a distant memory due to someone getting greedy,turning away the bike racers that have kept the crowds comming back for more. A cheap day out was had by me and many of my biking mates back then. And lets not forget i too have been to the Lotus owners club days as i like to see the Sunbeams as well as Europas Elans etc too. We shouldnt forget The Donnington kit car show, The 4x4 and off road show. Will these still be held? Whilst we are all entitled to go and do what we think fit i for one dont think a whoever parade will help. I rode on the Riders Rights day on my BMW R100 RS to hyde park in London many moons ago, 40,000 bikes made the journey from all over the UK. -Nothing was mentioned on the news. It will just be a day out for a hand full of enthusiasts. Probably to be bought by east mids for an extended runway so we dont have to go to bloody heathrow again! Best of Luck in gathering support Elaine. A great shame to loose all that we love and enjoy.
GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Retro Cars, Unfinished projects, cars from 1960,s onwards.
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 am

I'm glad to see that 'Save Donington' has your support, it'll be great if we can get a few Scamps there. The Save Donington Parade Icon_cool

As well as being on just about every car club forum on the internet, they've set up a MySpace page now as well.... http://www.myspace.com/savedonington

Loving going for drives in the snow, we want more!!!!
Elaine. The Save Donington Parade Icon_biggrin
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am

It's really working!

A company who is interested in taking over the lease and, crucially, wants to repair the circuit, got in touch with me today.

It does appear there are people out there who have the means to restore the track, and allow racing to participate.

Now that the Christmas period is over, hopefully we can look forward to a statement from Kevin Wheatcroft himself. No doubt, he will be fascinated by the support that has been shown.

Well done everyone, keep spreading the word, and make sure you turn up to the circuit, to show your support, on 7th March
(times and details to follow...)!

If you can't make it, just keep those messages of support coming.

https://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=265230290785&ref=mf

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=233953840818&index=1

Thanks for your continuing support.

Kindest regards,

Lee Coombs

New website http://savedonington.co.uk/

Last edited by MESS on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added website)
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:08 am

ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next