Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

40 Years of Scamps

+7
TRR Motorsport
Mr Bridger
Admin
Mk3rob
Rum Tum Tugger
Martin & Nettie
muttley
11 posters

Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty 40 Years of Scamps

Post  muttley Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:25 am

Hi,

As I understand we currently have about 75 members and with supposedly over 3000 scamp kits produced we
still have quite a few potential members.

Together with the 50th anniversary of the mini, 50 years of scampering gives us a unique opportunity
to promote the club and Scamps in general.

Throughout the year we’ve been chatting about the Scamp anniversary. I thought it might be useful to put
down a few of the ideas and suggestions discussed.

Kitcar & Mini Magazines:

Ideally, we need to get articles in the magazines before the start of and during the Show season. These
articles could either be article on the SOC or on specific Scamps with a side
bar mentioning the SOC.

Mini World - Monty Watkins - Used to be “Which Kit ?” Editor. I’m sure he’d be open to ideas. Does anyone
know Monty ?
Mini Mag - I’ve already sent an email to their editor…… Shocked

Complete KitCar - Ian Stent and Adam Wilkins. I believe Chaz knows Ian……Chaz - Do you fancy sounding him
out ?

Kit Car - Ian Hyde - Anyone know Ian or fancy contacting him ?

Shows:

I know that Shows are not everyone’s cup of tea but I think that this year offers real opportunity. I
think that we should have a presence at some of the major Mini shows.

Possibly the following:

March 29 - Brooklands Mini Day
August 7-9 - International Mini Meet @ Longbridge
1Sept 13 National Mini Show @ Stamford Hall

And the Kit Car Shows:

May 3-4 Stoneleigh
June 20-21 Newark

I don’t remember how the clubs funds are but maybe we can get more Flags and Banners made. Jono printed up some large Pics for Stanford, these can be printed on to Vinyl as banners or storyboards.

Also, if someone got some video of Scamps.....we could have a Laptop playing the a loop of the footage, from
inside a one of the hardtop Scamps.....with external speakers to attract attention.

At Stoneleigh maybe we could get a Scamp on the Complete Kitcar Stand ? Maybe Chris Westgate’s ? Again, Chaz can you talk with Ian Stent ?

At Newark It was mentioned as a good venue for the a Fancy Dress Celebrations ……a Sixes theme ?

I believe that the Club gazebo has departed due to last seasons winds………Can we get a large replacement
? Does anyone have a really large frame tent that could be used ? Cheap Marquee ? Any Ideas ?

It would be good if we could pick one show where we aim to have the largest number of Scamp turnout………We could promote this as the Anniversary Scamp meet ! Newark, IMM, Stourport ?

I think that we should publish the Diary for the coming year giving potential members as much notice
as possible.

Maybe we could include some pages showing Scanned copies of old Scamp articles…..we might have to get
permission to use some of the articles but many of the magazines are now
defunct. Maybe old adverts.

Club Membership:

There are quite a few Scamp Owners that belong to their local mini club and they maybe unlikely to join SOC…
However, we don’t want to loose track of them. I know it’s probably been mentioned before, but why don’t we have a Scamp Register. This would be a simple list of Cars and their owners. They wouldn’t have to pay a fee, but wouldn’t receive the Magazines, and if they attend any of the SOC organised functions they would
be expected to become full members. We could use this register to send them the occasional email or flyer promoting the next club event…and you never know………if they become interested in SOC they may want to join fully anyway.

Can we contact old or existing members that haven’t been to a Scamp do for a while ?

Club Regalia/Merchandise:

How about some anniversary items ?

I’ve seen the “Merchandise Pages” on the SOC Website. How do we go about getting some new designs ?

I’ve had a look at these…http://www.promotouch.co.uk/catalogue.html..they’re on the same industrial estate as Jonspeed! ie local to me !

They seem to be able to print T-Shirts at very reasonable prices and can do one offs or very limited quantities. There is a wide range of items and they can print on to vinyl for banners. There is a setup cost for embroidery and complex printing is more expensive.

I’m not sure whether they can do Mugs, Enamel Badges and the like but I can check………

They are willing to supply samples and examples of the various qualities of the T-shirts etc.

Possible anniversary items might be:

Mugs
T-Shirts
Car Stickers
Woolley Hats
Enamel Scamp Badges – (as Chris Westgate was modelling at Christmas Do!)
Sew on Badges

I don’t whether this is of any interest… or whether there is enough demand but I’m happy to look into this……
or James – what can the existing suppliers do ?

We need designs………

Bob Lilly seems to be able to wield a pencil,Bob fancy doing anything ?
Is there anyone else ?
Do we want to use the GIFs from the SOC website ?
Do we want pictures on the Tee Shirts (etc), Logos, Event Dates ? etc

Finally:

Sorry for the length of this post…..

I hope I’m not treading on anyone’s toes, and some of the things I have mentioned are ambitious, but I thought that if we are going to make the most of next year we need to start some of the
planning now.

If nothing else, I hope that this post promotes discussion and debate…

Cheers

Dave

Let’s get as many Scamps on the road as possible – Pot,Kettle and Black,springs to mind Embarassed !
muttley
muttley

Number of posts : 397
Job/hobbies : Kit Cars, Retro Cars, Cycling, Watching Unbuilt Scamps
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty Re: 40 Years of Scamps

Post  Martin & Nettie Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:22 am

Hi Dave - phew thats a lot ideas and suggestions, you should be out in the cold and damp fettling your scamp for next season not slaving over a hot pc.

We have already been contacted by Ian Stent and I have sent him a piece for the club page in the next issue and mentioned that we will be organising a Scamp celebration next year.

It would be good to contact Robert Mandry to see if he could attend our celebration event, I beleive the Connaught Garage still exists but I have not tried to track him down maybe someone could do that, if it wasn't for him there would be no Scamps.

The club gazebo did get wrecked but I fixed it (to save club funds) before I departed the UK and is available. Regarding club funds someone needs to look at an alternative to the Stourport site for next years picnic cos we were advised that the cost will be higher next year and no doubt the portaloos will be more as well.

Newark was suggested as the venue for the Scamp 40th with a 60's fancy dress theme.

The beauty of the merchandise site is that you design the t-shirt hat etc yourself so you can have whatever you desire scamp related of course.

I had similar ideas for the club but it needs someone who is prepared to constantly cajole, coax and badger our members to organise events in their area and to attend other events throughout the year. At Newark Nettie and I stayed on for another term but the process of selecting our replacements should be at the top of the agenda. Nettie did a wonderful job at the Picnic but the club secretary's job is quite demanding one chasing people for subs etc and I can only do so much from here.

We have yet to make a decison on our Scamps - my GT4x4 needs a new clutch release bearing and Florence needs to be put together, with the current situation in the uk it is unlikely we will be selling our house so they are both hibernating in the garage for the winter.

Well Dave lets see if your ideas and suggestions bear fruit and see if anyone volunteers?
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Excellent suggestions, this will be a good year to pull out a few extra stops. Cool

Idea Here's something I wasn't going to let on about just yet, but now might be a good time to do it.
I've been trying to put together a Scamp database, using information gleaned from my photos, the Club website, e-Bay, and Scampers going back to 1982. So far I only have a couple of hundred entries with registration number, model, current / last owner if known, and last sighting if not. However if our Ed will kindly allow me a couple of pages, I'll publish the list of numbers, then some of you good folks can help me start filling in some of the blanks.

Idea It would be brilliant if former members could join us, especially any who played a major part in running the Club. I just hope though that their experiences weren't so traumatic affraid that they would rather leave the memories undisturbed...

scratch And... artistic?? Moi???
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi

I didnt know there were that many words Very Happy

My vote for the main event goes to Newark. For one they are more down to earth and receptive to the older type Kitcars
and the other is that the Mini run to the Sun down at Newquay, Cornwall, is on the same weekend as Stoneleigh.

Regards Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi again, having just consulted the Mini World magazine possible the best event for us would be the Gaydon Mini Festival. July 4/5

This is supported by MiniWorld and central (ish) in the country.
The main event is on the Sunday but there is camping and ents on the Saturday night.
Being a Mini do unfortunately you do have to pay but if we have a club stand then you normally get some freebie/subsidised tickets. The price does get you into the Museum as well.
I do have a 3rd party connection with Monty through my Mini club and i am sure that we could get a bit of advertising out of him before hand and an article afterwards.

What a Face As you can tell from the above someone else (who knows the history) would have to the writing. Once one article has been written it is pretty much duplication.

www.minifestival.co.uk

I will try and look into it after Xmas

Regards Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Response From Mini Mag:
Hi Dave
By the end of the week ideally, if not next Monday. If you can't we'll still make sure you're included in a future issue though. I did have a profile lined up but it fell through!

Cheers

Jeff

Sent: 15 December 2008 13:38
To: Jeff Ruggles
Subject: Re: Scamp club profile

Hi Jeff,
I'll see what I can do......how quickly do you need these ? What sort of a deadline have we got ?
Cheers
Dave

On Dec 15 2008, Jeff Ruggles wrote:

Hi Dave
Mark forwarded me your e-mail re. the Scamp's 40th anniversary and the Scamp Club. Seeing as it's quite topical, would you be interested in having a club profile in the next magazine? To do this we'd need a bit of info on the club and its history, as well as a selection of hi-res images of gathering, show stands etc.
Please let me know if this is of interest. We'd need to get it sorted quite quickly!

Kind regards

Jeff Ruggles
Features Editor
Mini Magazine
Future Publishing

Do we have anything Prepared ? Does anyone fancy writing something.......I can provide pictures from the various Scamp Events......as I'm sure many of you can .

Dave
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-06

https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty Where are they now????

Post  Martin & Nettie Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:44 pm

40 Years of Scamps 9f_140 Years of Scamps 8c_140 Years of Scamps 40_1_b40 Years of Scamps 3c_140 Years of Scamps 30_140 Years of Scamps 047e_12[/img]

Some of the many Scamps that have been on for sale on ebay - where are they now ?
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty Where are they now...........

Post  Mr Bridger Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 am

I recognise a couple of those Scamps...........

PBK 3M was Fred Cakes Scamp. He was the founder of the Scamp Club.

Q458 NTR. I sold to a friend of Brian Bidwells, and was last seen in the Liverpool area.
Mr Bridger
Mr Bridger

Number of posts : 213
Job/hobbies : Coach at Currys. Kit cars, travelling, films,

http://ITALIANJOBTOURS.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 am

?666 XYD is now 1160 UA, and was on the club stand at Stoneleigh last year.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:31 pm

I thinks from the response we had at the National Mini Show it would be a great idea to attend a few more shows in 2009.

As the Scamp is a kit-car Newark is the place to have the official Scamp birthday party (or what ever we have planned)

Good work with the Mini mag Dave, have you provided him with any info/photos as yet?

If anyone wants any help with anything please let me know.

Regards

James
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty where are they now ?

Post  errrolsfriend Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Ah.... well ..... erm... B666XYD (now Errrol to his friends) is getting a bit of a "face lift" over the winter in darkest Somerset. He will be back.

ErFr

errrolsfriend

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : bluegrass music and playing my double bass
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty SOS - Save our Stourport ?

Post  muttley Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:08 am

Regarding club funds someone needs to look at an alternative to the
Stourport site for next years picnic cos we were advised that the cost
will be higher next year and no doubt the portaloos will be more as
well.

I'm still a relative newbie but Stourport was brilliant last view and most folks in the know said it was the best for years !

It a reasonablly central location, execellent off road, good local activities.......etc

Unless the costs have risen by ridiculous amount I would say book it now ! That is unless everyone else is bored with it !

Dave
muttley
muttley

Number of posts : 397
Job/hobbies : Kit Cars, Retro Cars, Cycling, Watching Unbuilt Scamps
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:15 am

muttley wrote:

I'm still a relative newbie but Stourport was brilliant last view and most folks in the know said it was the best for years !

It a reasonablly central location, execellent off road, good local activities.......etc

Unless the costs have risen by ridiculous amount I would say book it now ! That is unless everyone else is bored with it !

Dave

I concur with my learned friend..... Very Happy
Jono
Jono

Number of posts : 386
Location : Work in the "Badlands of Oldbury".. Home amongst the little people, deep, deep in the Forest.
Job/hobbies : Professional Bodger and first-class excuse maker..... Scamp owner and club member!
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:30 am

Mr Bridger wrote:
Q458 NTR. I sold to a friend of Brian Bidwells, and was last seen in the Liverpool area.
Minus wheels no doubt! Laughing

Jono wrote:
muttley wrote:

Dave

What he Said.
Regsmonster
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi

I'll even agree with Jono on this one Twisted Evil

plus i've still got to get up that damn hill What a Face

Happy xmas to all Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

40 Years of Scamps Empty Spotted in Mini World mag. Jan page 83

Post  Mk3rob Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35 pm

THO 795H Mk2 Camoflage paintwork (Jordanian desert not DPM, ask Elaine)

The article has it on a rolling road darn sarf, Boscombe Down, Hants.

Bournemouth Mini Club sticker on windscreen.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Jono wrote:
muttley wrote:

It a reasonablly central location, excellent off road, good local activities.......etc

Dave

Same here. Very Happy

Elaine. Wink
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down