Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Rear suspension

+4
wezgit daan saaf
OSR
SUMB
Billbod
8 posters

Go down

Rear suspension Empty Rear suspension

Post  Billbod Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Is the rear suspension on a mark3 a mini rear subframe or radius arms / coil suspension fitted to the metal frame ? Thanks

Billbod

Number of posts : 39
Job/hobbies : Mini kit cars !
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Rear suspension Empty Re: Rear suspension

Post  SUMB Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Billbod,

The rear suspension on the MK3 is the same as a MK2 - Standard Mini radius arms, cones and trumpets but all held in place with Scamp chassis mounting points and brackets.

I think people have tried to use coil overs mounted directly to the Mini radius arms but with varying success as to whether it sheared the mounting or not - there could be an alignment thing going off I feel.
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Rear suspension Empty Rear suspension

Post  Billbod Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks , I was dreading replacing the dreaded mini subframe, especially if I get a six wheeler !!!!!!!!!!!!
( less to fail on the MOT ) Thanks again.

Billbod

Number of posts : 39
Job/hobbies : Mini kit cars !
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Six Wheeler !!!!! Good man cheers

A couple of us were discussing the lack of 6 wheelers in the club these days and that fact that we have a soft spot for them. Will we be lucky enough to see you at some meetings with it if you get it? Are you looking at a MK2 or MK3? I'm guessing MK3 based on your original question.

BTW, if it is the part built MK3 that has been floating about E-bay for the past few months then don't bother as you won't be able to get it registered.
SUMB
SUMB

Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:03 pm

SUMB wrote:Hi Billbod,

The rear suspension on the MK3 is the same as a MK2 - Standard Mini radius arms, cones and trumpets but all held in place with Scamp chassis mounting points and brackets.

I think people have tried to use coil overs mounted directly to the Mini radius arms but with varying success as to whether it sheared the mounting or not - there could be an alignment thing going off I feel.

My GT3 has coilovers front and rear. Only problem I've spotted so far is the top mounts aren't strong enough at the rear and the plate has bent. I'm having some 1/4" plate washers made up to add some strength.
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:24 pm

One of the first MK3's was owned by Steve Taylor,he converted the rear suspension to coil over's only to find himself unstuck in the deepest depths of one of the Peak District's trails.The 3.8" stud,that normally holds the shock absorber,had broken,so with the radius swinging and someone sat on the oppposing corner of the bonnet,they managed to get it back to base.The ultimate outcome of this story is that if you are going to offroad it with coilover rear suspension,beef up the lower mounting.By the way,his Mk3 eventually went Lancia powered!!
wezgit daan saaf
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Which I beleive Chaz has in his new shiny garage bounce
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Following on from Chris' comment about coil overs at the rear, Stub axles with 1/2" studs are readily available to prevent you shearing it off at an embarassing moment. Suspect
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 am

TRR Motorsport wrote:Following on from Chris' comment about coil overs at the rear, Stub axles with 1/2" studs are readily available to prevent you shearing it off at an embarassing moment. Suspect

Interesting I'll have a look at those.

We were having a look at it last night and half the problem is the bolts are in single rather then double shear. Triangulating the top mount is a possibility but would be a faff to do as you have to avoid fouling the top of the coil over stud and it's likely to make the nut very awkward to access. Welding some extra plate on underneath add some thickness to the cross plate is looking favourite at the mo. I think I'll be designing some extra brackets for the bottom to put the bolt into double shear.
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Just to add - I was the first kid at school to have a Moulton bycycle - Moulton also made the rubber doughnuts for the classic Mini affraid
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

OSR wrote:We were having a look at it last night and half the problem is the bolts are in single rather then double shear. Triangulating the top mount is a possibility but would be a faff to do as you have to avoid fouling the top of the coil over stud and it's likely to make the nut very awkward to access. Welding some extra plate on underneath add some thickness to the cross plate is looking favourite at the mo. I think I'll be designing some extra brackets for the bottom to put the bolt into double shear.

If memory serves me right the fact that the bolt is in single shear is not the whole problem. There are 2 inherant problems with the coil over on the back of a Scamp. If you look closely from the back of the car I think you will find that the coilover is not 90° to the radius arm (they lean in slightly) and will obviously cause a bending load as well as shear. The other problem is that when the radius arm is in the full compression possition the coilover is more than 90° to it, thus causing a 'Cam' effect.

So, really the top mount needs moving sideways so that the radius arm and coilover are 90° to each other to stop it bending the bottom bolt and also mouving forward so than on full compression its relation to the radius arm does not exceed 90°
SUMB
SUMB

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

SUMB wrote:mini things blah blah etc.....
An interesting answer Chaz, and an excellent side step avoiding mentioning when the Lancia will be done! Laughing
Regsmonster
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Regsmonster wrote:An interesting answer Chaz, and an excellent side step avoiding mentioning when the Lancia will be done! Laughing
whistle

Now his has to be the ultimate suspension conversion - http://airride.co.uk/?page_id=36
SUMB
SUMB

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 pm

SUMB wrote:

Now his has to be the ultimate suspension conversion - http://airride.co.uk/?page_id=36

£2k and it's powered by diet coke!!!!!! Wink
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:12 pm