Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

New Member from the Wirral

+3
OSR
ZED
TAY53
7 posters

Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty New Member from the Wirral

Post  TAY53 Sat May 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to introduce myself to the site, my name is Mike and I have recently aquired a MK2 Scamp, the scamp was built by my uncle around 1986-87 and unfortunateley was killed in a car accident near Oxford not long after he had finished the project, his wife at the time did not want the scamp around the area so my Dad bought it as a present for my 18th birthday, being 18 I did not appreciate it so it got slightly abused, I then sold it to a friend who has had it in his garage since 1992, however I recently persuaded him to sell it back to me for the same amount I sold it to him back then £300.00.

The pictures I have seen on the site has given me some insperation to pull my finger out and start to get it sorted, my intention is for my son to have it when he is 18, so I've got some time to get it back on the road, 10 years infact.

It needs a little tlc, I have had it running but I think the carb etc and fuel lines need some attention, I've also have an issue with the clutch, it bites right at the bottom, I have fitted a new slave cylinder as the old one had seized.

Thanks for reading, and when I can figure out how to post an image I will.

Mike
New Member from the Wirral Image011
TAY53
TAY53

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Engineer
Registration date : 2010-05-01

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty Re: New Member from the Wirral

Post  ZED Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 am

Welcome to the forum Mike. New Member from the Wirral Icon_biggrin Wow, they say every Scamp has a story to tell, and yours certainly has!

It looks pretty solid, so I'm sure you won't be needing the full ten years to get it roadworthy. New Member from the Wirral Icon_cool

Most of the Scampers will be at Stoneleigh Kit Car Show this weekend, so I'm guessing you won't get many replies until Tuesday... New Member from the Wirral Icon_wink

Enjoy your weekend,
Elaine. New Member from the Wirral Icon_pirat
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Sun May 02, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Mike
Welcome to the Forum New Member from the Wirral 613677

Where abouts in the Wirral are you? I live the other side of the Dee Estuary in Connah's Quay and am working on getting my Scamp up and running for this summer's Scamp Holiday.

Charlie
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Interesting photo. This Scamp has some unusual, possibly unique, features:

• Tapered bonnet, hinged at the back
  • Doors that include the Mini window frames - is the winding mechanism there too?
  • Van / Countryman rear door hinges. These are dreadfully floppy without a good solid door frame, I discovered.
  • Mounting plate for something in the middle of the roof - an amber beacon perhaps?
  • Rear-facing auxiliary lamp would also suit the rescue wagon image
  • Hole in the side which might have been for a fuel filler - but for what tank?

If the car's been laid up for 18 years, count on replacing all hoses, slave cylinders and possibly master cylinders too.

Hope we can meet you at one event or another, with or without your Scamp.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty .....................Hi...................

Post  Mk3rob Mon May 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Mike

10 years to do it New Member from the Wirral Kopfschuettel

Get it done soonest and come and join us at some events. It will be well ingrained into your son when it comes to be his turn then New Member from the Wirral Icon_lol

Regards and hoping for more pics, Rob
(just back from Stoneleigh and shattered)
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty HI

Post  TAY53 Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm

OSR wrote:Hi Mike
Welcome to the Forum New Member from the Wirral 613677

Where abouts in the Wirral are you? I live the other side of the Dee Estuary in Connah's Quay and am working on getting my Scamp up and running for this summer's Scamp Holiday.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, thx for the reply, I live in Wallasey so not far away from you, its been some time since I had my head under a bonnet, however I am keen to get stuck into it. It would be good to catch up and take a look over your scamp as it could give me some assistance as I am concious about some welding / brackets in the engine bay.

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty TAY53

Post  TAY53 Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Rum Tum Tugger wrote:Interesting photo. This Scamp has some unusual, possibly unique, features:

• Tapered bonnet, hinged at the back
  • Doors that include the Mini window frames - is the winding mechanism there too?
  • Van / Countryman rear door hinges. These are dreadfully floppy without a good solid door frame, I discovered.
  • Mounting plate for something in the middle of the roof - an amber beacon perhaps?
  • Rear-facing auxiliary lamp would also suit the rescue wagon image
  • Hole in the side which might have been for a fuel filler - but for what tank?

If the car's been laid up for 18 years, count on replacing all hoses, slave cylinders and possibly master cylinders too.

Hope we can meet you at one event or another, with or without your Scamp.

Hi

Thanks for the reply and comments, one of them has been very usefull, I have been trying to find out what the higes were on the doors, now you have answered my issue, looking further into it since you reply I have found that I can replace them with a ball kit which I have just ordered through Mini spares. Regarding the hole in the side, this is the fuel filler cap.

Its been many years since I have dabled inside an engine bay or even maintained a car, however I'm sure if I have any issues then I can send an email for assistance.

Its a great site and maybe one day we will catch up, like the pictures on the site of the rally Trial events that's something that I fancy having a go off.

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

Post  TAY53 Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Mk3rob wrote:Hi Mike

10 years to do it New Member from the Wirral Kopfschuettel

Get it done soonest and come and join us at some events. It will be well ingrained into your son when it comes to be his turn then New Member from the Wirral Icon_lol

Regards and hoping for more pics, Rob
(just back from Stoneleigh and shattered)

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping the son will get involved with me and get his hands dirty, like the sound of the events. Just been away to Morfa Nefyn in North Wales for the Bank Holiday and went to a local show were they had many Mini's on show with some great engines etc, gave me some insentive, however I am limited with space in the garage with kids bikes, canoes etc but have decided to put her on the drive for the summer and sheet her with the intention to crack on with the job and at least attempt to get her mechanically sound before the Winter.

Anyway, speke soon and think the site is great.

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty TAY53

Post  TAY53 Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

MESS wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike. New Member from the Wirral Icon_biggrin Wow, they say every Scamp has a story to tell, and yours certainly has!

It looks pretty solid, so I'm sure you won't be needing the full ten years to get it roadworthy. New Member from the Wirral Icon_cool

Most of the Scampers will be at Stoneleigh Kit Car Show this weekend, so I'm guessing you won't get many replies until Tuesday... New Member from the Wirral Icon_wink

Enjoy your weekend,
Elaine. New Member from the Wirral Icon_pirat

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the reply, yep she is very solid so I am hoping this will make my life a little easier to get sorted, liking the site and everyones comments are very positive so this will give me plenty of reasurance and I'm sure if I need some Technical assistance its only an email away.

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Welcome on board Mike. We look forward to seeing you & your lad at a Scamp event soon (don't worry if the Scamp doesn't make it, we're a sociable club and the car isn't the be all and end all). New Member from the Wirral Icon_biggrin

Walasesy? I have a freind in the motor club there. they run the Prominade Stages at New Brighton and Colin & I have competed there on several occations. New Member from the Wirral Icon_wink
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  muttley Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm

New Member from the Wirral 20209

Welcome........

Dave
muttley
muttley

Number of posts : 397
Job/hobbies : Kit Cars, Retro Cars, Cycling, Watching Unbuilt Scamps
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 am

TAY53 wrote:

It would be good to catch up and take a look over your scamp as it could give me some assistance as I am concious about some welding / brackets in the engine bay.

Mike

You're more then welcome to come and have a shufty though Clova* is in bits in the garage and a MK3 so there are probably a few differences in the engine bay. Send me a PM and I'll let you know my details.
Charlie

*BTW have you given your Scamp a name yet?!

Last edited by OSR on Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting)
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty RE: Elec parts ordered

Post  TAY53 Fri May 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Electriacl parts ordered for, I have noticed that all scamps have a name so here it is "Moo Mop" dont even ask were this has originated from, you will need to ask the Good Lady, anyway new Dizy Cap, coil etc ordered through mini spares.com, You guys will probably tell me there are cheaper places to order from, if so please advise. Anyway hoping there going to be here tomorrow so the weekend can be spent trying to get her to going. Next plan of action will be to replace all brake lines and overhaul drums etc.
If any one has any advice it will be most appreciated as it has been some time since Moo Mop has been moved under the power of the engine.

Anyway I will keep you all posted with the developments and hopefully it will be good news.

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Fri May 14, 2010 11:05 pm

'Moo-Mop-A-Lula she's my baby!'
New Member from the Wirral 449355 New Member from the Wirral 449355 New Member from the Wirral 449355 New Member from the Wirral 449355 New Member from the Wirral 449355

Great name! Let us know how you get on with starting her.
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sun May 16, 2010 8:28 am

Mike,

A good place for shopping is at one of the shows, the next one being the Newark Kit Car Show in June. Loadsa trade stands, including suppliers of things like trim, electrics, stainless fittings or special purpose tools. There's also an auto-jumble zone which can be handy for used or obsolete parts (not necessarily for minis which are still well catered for via normal channels). There will be a Club stand, it will be great to see you there - bring a shopping list and wads of cash!
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty Shops and shows

Post  Mk3rob Sun May 16, 2010 12:25 pm

B******ks 2nd time of writing New Member from the Wirral Icon_sad

http://www.minispares.com/

http://www.northwestminis.co.uk/

Mini World or Mini Magazine for the main sellers and when/where the shows are.
The show prices are cheaper as you dont have to pay P&P and there are a few "Show Prices"

And of course us, the club members who have for unknown, cant remember why (age) reasons have squirreled away bits over the years.
Dont forget that Scamps have been going around for $! years so if you think of an idea its prob been tried before and we can tell you the positives or negatives or the easy way of doing something.

Happy fettling..........Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 am

TAY53 wrote:I have noticed that all scamps have a name so here it is "Moo Mop" dont even ask were this has originated from, you will need to ask the Good Lady

Mike

I work on a dairy farm, milking cows (amongst other things), so would love to know where it came from... Get your Good Lady to join the forum. New Member from the Wirral Icon_biggrin

Elaine. New Member from the Wirral Icon_wink
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty up-date on Moo-Mop

Post  TAY53 Mon May 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Oh well, spent nearly all day Friday attempting to get Moo-Mop running and eventually she started, engine sounded good, no Knocking just a little rattle from the top end but nothing to worry about, however radiator was leaking like crazy so I could not run her too long, anyway just ordered one on-line through the web, new £41.00, which I though was a good price as I had been quoted £99 by a local motor factor, so all things crossed here tomorrow and fitted so should be in a position to leave her to idle for a while.
I have noticed in the engine bay that the tops of the suspension mounts are corroded / cracked, can I weld these up or can I buy replacement caps, (hope that makes sence) any tips would be very much appreciated.
I will take some photo's and upload to assist.

Cheers

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am

tops of the suspension mounts are corroded / cracked

...being the top plates of the front subframe towers, I take it? These come spot-welded, and seam welding them is a common mod when serious off-roading is intended.

Mk2 Scamps had a tendency to suffer from this unless the "inriggers" to which the towers were fixed had extra bracing fitted. I thought this was fixed in Mk3s though.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty Subframe Towers

Post  TAY53 Tue May 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Bob, thanks for reply. my mk2 has a brace on the radiator side, it appears that over time these have deteriorated and whoever attempted to weld it has made a mess of it, they have also located a 90 degree brace bracket, do you know if I can weld these up towers or will it causes an issue for the mot. I will post a picture later and show you the extent of the repair required.

cheers

Mike
TAY53
TAY53

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Tue May 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I welded up the towers on my own Mk2 with no problems, and if I can do it then (almost) anybody can. I've some pics somewhere but they'll have to wait until I get the scanner operational again.

It probably goes without saying that you have to take the subframe out & dismantle the front suspension, so a cone compressor is required. Then de-rust, grind down the cracks to bare metal, seam weld, and finish with nice shiny Hammerite so it looks good for the MoT inspector.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

New Member from the Wirral Empty Welding Required

Post  TAY53 Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm

New Member from the Wirral P1020012
Welding required

TAY53
TAY53