Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Mk1 on E-bay

+3
Rum Tum Tugger
orbski
Mk3rob
7 posters

Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Mk1 on E-bay

Post  Mk3rob Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 pm

Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Re: Mk1 on E-bay

Post  Mk3rob Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Sold for £310.........2 bidders.

No pics, he said that the selling system does not allow you to add pics after a bid has been made.
I dont sell,so i dont know, but its a daft system if its right.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  orbski Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

It's just up the road from me and I had a viewing at the weekend.
Truly an interesting car and whoever got it had a bargain if only for the reg.

From what we worked out, it was a moke that had been made into a scamp. Moke windscreen, roof bar and tank and an odd front end. Like a cross between mk1 and 2 scamp, but with what I guessed was the moke's front panel attatched and on the doc's it was registered as a moke.

After seeing it I really wanted to bid but was threatened with living in the shed... Heh

Shocked

orbski

Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : monument artist, drawing, cars.
Registration date : 2009-08-15

http://orbski.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Wed May 05, 2010 7:34 am

So what was the bargain reg then, just out of interest?
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  orbski Wed May 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Depends on how you may look at it but it was never registered as a scamp, just a moke.

Of course, it would be wrong to do anything other than put that right, but, you never know Wink

orbski

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Howdy!

Post  GSalvage3 Wed May 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi Rob and All Scampers
I have bought the Mk1 off ebay - the chap selling it seems very genuine - It was a real leap of faith bidding for it with no pics or any real description - but it sounds like a good-un - I certainly hope so. It sounds corny but the Scamp is going to be a project for myself and 14 year old son Alex - who (in these days of uber H&S rules) can't believe that a car like the scamp is road legal - he's got a lot to learn!
Going to get the membership form off soon and hopefully meet some of you guys in the future - are there many members in the Dorset area??
Cheers
Richard in Dorchester - Dorset.
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Run a Building Company, Cycling, Tennis, Drinking!
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  orbski Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 am

hi and welcome to the forums, congrats on winning the scamp Smile

the seller seemed very genuine to me too so I'm sure ittle be ok.

orbski

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 am

Welcome to the mad house Richard. Mk1 on E-bay Icon_geek

Look forward to seeing you & your son at a Scamp event soon.

Regards

James
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Thanks

Post  GSalvage3 Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 am

Hi Folks

Many thanks for the welcomes - we will keep an eye out for an event somewhere nearish to us and get along - it looks like you all have a bloomin' good laugh at the events!
I've just found out from Orbski that the car is currently pink and yellow - OMG - I feel the need for a paint brush coming on!

Cheers again
Rich in Dorset
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED Thu May 06, 2010 11:52 am

GSalvage3 wrote:I've just found out from Orbski that the car is currently pink and yellow - OMG

Cheers again
Rich in Dorset

LOL Can't wait to hear what your son Alex says when he sees it! Mk1 on E-bay Icon_lol Mk1 on E-bay Icon_lol Mk1 on E-bay Icon_lol

Elaine. Mk1 on E-bay Icon_wink
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Thu May 06, 2010 2:10 pm

currently pink and yellow
Blobby Blobby!
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Whoop Whoop!!!

Post  GSalvage3 Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Okay Folks

The time has come to go and collect Blobby
And thanks to RunTumTugger for the new name for our little star!

Off to Cheltenham in the morning and should be back by teatime.
Blimey - aren't car trailers wide! - I keep having to check my rear view mirror to see the trail of destruction that I'm leaving behind! LOL
Can't wait to get Blobby home - and I'll try and get some pics posted - although I have not worked out how to do that yet??
Cheers
Rich

Last edited by GSalvage3 on Sun May 16, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

The trailer will prob tow like a bitch when its empty, but it will be ok with a load on it.

Hope you've got some good strops

Regards Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Wed May 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Mk3rob wrote:The trailer will prob tow like a bitch when its empty, but it will be ok with a load on it.

You must have had a sh!te home made one then. My Brian James Trailer was always a pleasure to tow, as was the BJT Raceshuttle I took to Norway and hauled around on the RAC last year.
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed May 12, 2010 6:18 pm

But you were pulling them with a Landrover wern't you James Mk1 on E-bay Icon_lol
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty We're Home!

Post  GSalvage3 Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Whey Hey - we made it
Yep - the Brian James trailer was actually quite a larf - once I got used to being 2ft wider than normal!
Blobby is fine - needs loads of work - steel frame needs new members - brakes are shot - engine needs major overhaul - clutch etc is non-existent! - But - it's lovely - and I can't wait to get to grips with it.
Alex thinks it looks groovy and we definitely are sticking with Blobby as the name for him. And only you guys will understand that!
I am going to post a load of pics on here (as soon as I can work out how to put them on here) - does not bode well for the restoration of the car if I can't suss out how to put some pics on here!.
Cheers
Rich
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 pm

You sound like a Scamper already i.e. not put off by buying a pile of scrap that probably should have been recycled years ago. I have been trying to restore my wife’s Mk1 called Florence from the Magic Roundabout (they all have names) she needed major work (Florence not my wife).

Mk1’s were made with imperial box section i.e. 1 ½” x 1 ½” since metrication box section is now 40 x 40 with a tighter corner radius making it difficult to weld in new sections. Imperial box is available but hard to find, I did manage to find imperial box section but the corner radius is smaller but you have to look hard to see the join.

With the amount of work you say is required on Blobby it would probably be best to remove all the mechanical bits (remembering where they all go of course), suspension, brakes, trailing arms etc will most likely need refurbishing anyway. With all the bits off including the engine you can take a look at the front and rear subframes which dissolve over the years (I managed to save Florence’s rear but had to replace the front as one of the suspension turrets had rusted through).

To get a good look at the chassis you will probably need to remove all the aluminium panels by drilling out all the rivets. Once removed you can assess how much box section and how many packs of welding rods or MIG wire and gas you will need to buy. The only thing that was keeping parts of Florence’s bottom chassis rails together was the layers of paint that had been applied over years, frightening isn’t it.

So if you still have your sanity and some money left after turning the pile of scrap that you paid the equivalent of a new 37” LCD TV complete with built in Freesat, into your pride and joy, you would have earned the right to take your place at the annual Scamp Picnic currently held at Stourport in the Midlands.

The Picnic is where you can bend it, break it and get covered in mud if you want to and possibly collect one of the trophys awarded by fellow members.

So don’t forget to join the SOC by downloading the membership form from our website and sending it off. There are loads of anoraks in the club (including me) that would only be too pleased to offer advice if you have any questions so don’t be afraid to ask.

You have to upload your pictures to a third party online facility (I use Photobucket) then you can copy the picture code into your post, a bit daunting at first but you soon get the hang of it (ask your son he will know).

So good luck and don’t forget Scamping can damage your sanity and your wealth.
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 pm

After typing my lengthy post I had another look at the Q&A's on Ebay "it has been in storage for some 7 or 8 years it does not have a soft top and will need recommissioning to get on the road and registering again on the road as it was last on the road in the channel islands in 2002" does this mean it has no V5 Mk1 on E-bay Icon_question
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty What a mare!

Post  GSalvage3 Sat May 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi Martin (and the gang)

Application form and dosh in the post today!

Okay - the history of the car is "interesting" to say the least.

I bought it from the bloke in Cheltenham (2.5 hours from me), and he had bought it from a woman in Gloucester who had brought it over from Guernsey. How she brought it over is anyone's guess.
When I rang the vehicle licencing in Guernsey on Thursday they informed me that the car still appears to be registered to a chap in Guernsey (and has not been officially exported) (So I put her right on that small detail) and was registered as being on the road until 2008.
The plot thickens!
The car is definitely a strange combination of moke and Scamp - and I reckon it is a Moke that had a front end smash on Guernsey, and they couldn't get it properly repaired by Austin Morris or whoever - so they sent off for a Scamp front end and wapped it on there.
The rear end is definitely more Moke than Scamp - from my limited and inexperienced eyes.

Thanks for your lengthy post - it was really useful and sort of confirmed everything that I had in mind to do - i.e. dismantle everything mechanical in order to enable me to bring it into the house and refurb each piece on my wife's pride and joy (dining suite) hahahahaha - can't wait to get the Carbonumdum powder/paste out!

I have bought a lovely gleaming new cordless drill in readiness of drilling out all the rivets and removing all ally panels from floor, sides etc - which will be fun.

One real joy to behold was on Thursday night - as I have jacked Blobby up off the deck by about 500mm and can now get under to inspect and work on him. I have found that the underside, wheel arches and most of the suspension were waxoiled or at least undersealed - and are still in what appears to be good condition - nothing that a good wire brush and a weekend will not sort out - but we will see when the panels come off!

I have started buying mini refurb mags and drooling over minilites and nice seats!! lol - and went to the local scrap yard on Friday to check out interiors of the cars there - and I'm quite keen on the seats and trim out of a citroen saxo type car - which is well-funky - and I think they only want £50 for the lot. I've got a bid in on some minilites on the bay - a bit premature I know - but what the hell!

So - I can't wait to get going on my first proper refurb - I am just wondering now whether to start on engine, suspension, brakes ??? - oh choices choices - it's a hard life! Mk1 on E-bay Lol

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by GSalvage3 on Sun May 16, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty Part 2

Post  GSalvage3 Sat May 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Sorry - should have said that blobby has no V5 - and all I have is the last hand-written bill of sales and a tax disc from 2002 - talk about wing and a prayer!
But, the folks on Guernsey have told me to send it all over with £10 and they will sort out a export certificate.
I'm probably going to find that the woman from Gloucester nicked that car off the bloke on Guernsey (ex-hubby/boyfriend/lover - who cares) and he want's it back.
Needless to say that the car is soon destined to be in 1000 parts and so good luck to him in transporting it back over! Mk1 on E-bay 20209
If anyone out there knows anything then let me know at GSalvage3@aol.com
Cheers
Rich
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sun May 16, 2010 8:17 am

You hang on to that tax disc as if it were gold plated - you might need it as evidence!
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

Mk1 on E-bay Empty News and Photos

Post  GSalvage3 Sat May 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Folks

Photos are now on Photo-Bucket

They are the pre-start pics - all the body work is now off and interior - most of the engine - and most of the frame is exposed and getting ready for cleaning up.

https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt271/GSalvage3/Blobby%20Pics%20-%20Before%20the%20Rebuild/

I have the certificate of export back from Guernsey - and it is/was registered as a Moke! - so, that was worth doing I suppose.
Can I still stay in with the Scampers!! lol Mk1 on E-bay Icon_smile

Cheers
Rich
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Sat May 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Great pics

Are you sure it wasnt a cut n shut Mk1 on E-bay Icon_twisted 1 pink and 1 yellow Mk1 on E-bay Affraid
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Nah, someone obviously did the same as me: decided to repaint it but had second thoughts halfway through. Except that in my case the reversion was (eventually) completed.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum