Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Mk3 back from Mongolia

2 posters

Go down

Mk3 back from Mongolia  Empty Mk3 back from Mongolia

Post  HugeBlandy Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:25 pm

Hi
I Drove a Mk3 to Mongolia back in 2014 and have finally decided to drag it out garage it’s been in since..
It sustained some pretty serious damage on the Mongol corrugations and needs some love....
Looking for some advise on what rear shocks to use and is fitting a mini rear subframe acceptable.[[url=https://servimg.com/view/20312284/6]Mk3 back from Mongolia  60b20110
Mk3 back from Mongolia  91158f10
Mk3 back from Mongolia  73cc9310

HugeBlandy

Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : 40year + cars
Registration date : 2021-02-20

Back to top Go down

Mk3 back from Mongolia  Empty Re: Mk3 back from Mongolia

Post  Admin Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:38 pm

Hi.... sounds like that was an adventure...... As far as I'm aware rear shocks are standard mini. If extended trailing arms are fitted then some people tried chevette shocks but those are too long...... again the mini ones are okay. Subframes were fitted to scamp MK1....but shouldn't be necessary for a MK3...... Unless you particularly want to go down that path..... Hope that helps.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-06

https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk

HugeBlandy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  HugeBlandy Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 pm

Many thanks for the swift reply. I found the standard mini shocks to be slightly to short despite having standard mini radius arms. This is probably caused by the adjustable Hi-Lo’s that I maxed out to gain the most ground clearance... I’ll look into Chevette shocks.
The reason I’m thinking installing a subframe is the over the 10,000 miles to Mongolia the rear end was the only thing that let us down... In Kazakhstan the frame at the radius arm mounts twisted, caused the wheel studs to shear and the rear wheel to overtake us on the road. In Mongolia the radius arm mount bolts sheared and the wheel fell off again. Days later the frame split on the other side where the force on the cone suspension was to much for the box section.
I was thinking by installing a subframe all the forces would be contained within it causing less stress to the more delicate box section chassis..

HugeBlandy

Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : 40year + cars
Registration date : 2021-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

I used to have some NOS chevette shocks but I think I got rid of them.......I'll check the shed and garage in the next couple of days......

Understand what you're saying regarding the mounts....and have seen one or two fail....I/we have used various methods of strengthening in the past, some more successful than others.

I currently rebuilding my MK1 and was happy to put a replacement subframe in the back, although I have further strengthening to the chassis also.
The use of the subframe is heavy, and is rust prone, but in reality it should last many years in the back of a Scamp.
I does offer more strength (or distribution of the strength/stresses) and there is more chance of aligning the rear wheels more accurately.....

Cheers

Dave
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-06

https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk

HugeBlandy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content