Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

My new MK2 Scamp

4 posters

Go down

My new MK2 Scamp Empty My new MK2 Scamp

Post  OSR Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:26 pm

In a moment of Ebay madness I've bought a MK2
My new MK2 Scamp Imag0011

Went and picked it up from Marlborough last Saturday and drove it the 160 miles back to Chester which is possibly the coldest drive I've ever done. It made it all the way with only one stop for running repairs when the lights died but think that's down to the old wiring, two for petrol and another two for cups of tea so I could defrost my hands and feet!

Good points:
- It's MOT'd
- It's taxed as a historic vehicle i.e. free (my favourite word Smile)
- It runs fairly reliably (ignoring the electrical gremlins)
- It makes an awful lot of people smile when they see it rofl

Bad points:
- It needs a lot of fettling. The basics are all there but lots of little things need to be repaired or improved i.e. new wiring loom, wing mirrors, seats etc.

Along with the car came a folder crammed full of paperwork from the guy who originally built it - Brian Niel from Pewsey, Wiltshire. Does any one recognise the name or have any info on the car (which was originally silver)? Brian was in the SOC in 1997 as I have a letter from Lisa Collier sending him his membership card. Other interesting bits include Colin Edmonson's 'The Scampers Guide to Off-Road Preparation and Driving Techniques' booklet, guide to how to build your Scamp and some letters between Brian and Andrew MacLean from the early to mid 90's.

We're planning to bring it along to Colin & Deb's Easter Off Roading for a play drive1

BTW does anyone have any Scamp badges or an air horn that plays Colonel Bogey in exchange for some beer tokens?

Charlie

Ps he's been nicknamed The Colonel tank
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

My new MK2 Scamp Empty Re: My new MK2 Scamp

Post  TRR Motorsport Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Excellent!!! It looks quite good from the pic. BTW, did the heater not work? or is it full of draughty holes?
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 pm

What heater?!?!? Retro fitting one is on the (long) list of jobs to do. If any one has any suggestions/recommendations let me know.

And it's full of holes. The main one is one of the panes in the passenger door window is missing but I've bodged that for the time being with some perspex and gaffer tape so it's water and wind proof. In the folder is the original invoice for the windows and the company who made them aren't too far away from me in Wigan so I'll be calling them tomorrow to see about repairing/replacing it. Only snag is I think the whole frame will have to come out which could be a bit of a mission. The other major holes are the four drains in the footwell but I've filled those with some blanking plugs from the Bay of Fleas.

Once all the fettling's done it'll be an upgrade to front disks, as it's drums all round at the mo, and then a 1275 transplant Twisted Evil
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

My new MK2 Scamp Empty No heater ...... Snap

Post  Billbod Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Thought a mini heater would fit into my Scamp but can't find enough space ( all the switches / wiring in the middle ) Been looking on ebay........there seems to be a mini heater that might do the job !!!!! except its a £105 plus other bits. Have to sell a load of Mini bits to find some cash, buying someone's kit there is always missing ?

Billbod

Number of posts : 39
Job/hobbies : Mini kit cars !
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 pm

why not butcher a heater from some other car? The ones on Reg's & Mine are Peugeot 205 heaters.
I cut mine up, made an ali box for the matrix (more of a plenum chamber really) and riveted and tiger sealed it to the trimed down fan assembly. Small, powerful and most importantly, cheap Very Happy
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:40 am

Walle's got a very hybrid heater (still at mk2 version, mk3 version to go with new dashboard mod's).

Heater matrix pinched out of a golf mk3, (on e-bay for £20.50 new, was supposed to go in my daily drive) 2 x 120mm 12v computer case fans & finger guards from maplins, a switch & 2 metres of 19mm hose from Halfrauds, some ally plate & some yellow & black warning tape to hide the rough bits !

Fits nicely in the centre of the top half of the dash, and provides enough heat the melt the daughters eyeballs !! Rolling Eyes

Approximately 360mm wide x 180mm high x 80mm deep.

Will upload some pics if your interested in the general idea...

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 am

nhazelwood wrote:
Will upload some pics if your interested in the general idea...

Neil

Yes please Neil. I did take a couple through the window of your dash at the Feb Pub meet but managed to delete them before uploading them to my PC - Doh!
OSR
OSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down