Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Disconnecting Driveshafts!

5 posters

Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty Disconnecting Driveshafts!

Post  GSalvage3 Sun May 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Folks
I've just about stripped everything off blobby and the frame is all down to bare metal awaiting it's new coat of smooth hammerite in white.
But, I have borrowed an engine lift for the long weekend and am feeling really stoopid because I am having trouble disconnecting my driveshafts!
I've got everything else done - completely. But my mini book says that I simply have to disconnect the 4 No. U bolts (8 Bolts) per driveshaft - but I can't see any U bolts. There is a plate connecting the shaft to the diff with 5 bolts - which I have undone and then broken the seal (cleverly forgetting to drain the oil first - what a dunce) - but still no joy.
I have read that I need to disconnect everything on the wheel and let the hub drop down which will bring the driveshaft out - but that is easier said than done too!
I really want to lift Blobby's engine out this weekend - so does anyone have any jewels of wisdom that they feel like imparting to silly old me!
Thanks
Rich and Alex (when he's not playing on his new Itouch thingy! - kids eh!) Disconnecting Driveshafts! Icon_rolleyes
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Run a Building Company, Cycling, Tennis, Drinking!
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty Re: Disconnecting Driveshafts!

Post  Mk3rob Sun May 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Have you got the right year of Mini book for your car, it sounds like you are reading the info for early couplings. Hardy Spicers.

The later drive shafts slot into the gearbox the same way as the hub end...........oh yeah thats easy ....not.

What you need to do is get a lever between the inner coupling and the gearbox, then it is supposed to ping off the same as the hub end. The book says to remember to drain the oil first Disconnecting Driveshafts! Icon_twisted .

Haynes Mini book 69 -86

Chap 7 Driveshafts and UJ's

Section 3 para 15 etc

The picture shows levering from above but i found it easier from below using a small crowbar to get better leverage.

Now get out their tomorrow and get it done ..........no excuses Disconnecting Driveshafts! Icon_lol
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty Cheers

Post  GSalvage3 Sun May 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Rob

You're a star - thanks - I'm led to believe that the donor car for my scamp was first registered in 1980 - but isn't that too late for a Mk 1?

I will indeed be out there tomorrow and will post pics of the engine out tomorrow night!

Cheers
Rich (And Alex if he can be bothered!)
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty OMG!

Post  GSalvage3 Mon May 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Well - OMG really does cover it!
I'm really glad I'm a builder and not a mechanic! - that was hellish!
It was okay apart from the wonderful driveshafts not disengaging - I got 1 off cleanly and the 2nd was a mare.
But - we are there and Alex (yes - dragged him away from Itouch! !!) have managed it and 998cc is sitting comfortably in the garage - after numerous hours of muffled F**&^(*)("*&)(*)£("(*$)"(£&")(&$£)"£ - I'm sure you know what I mean!
How much oil can there be in such a small engine! - we got her lifted up and I suppose a pocket of oil decided to make a run for it - all over my slabs - good job for industrial strength degreaser when the job is over.
But - now we have block etc ready to carefully dismantle and subframes x 2 to clean up and coat ready for re-insertion - oh joy - I'm sooooo looking forward to that!
You see - you are reading from a bloke who is useless at mechanics - that is partly why I decided to get on and learn something new - and it is fun - in a sort of Masochistic way!
But - in all seriousness - this is fun - and many thanks to Rob and others for help - I will ensure that copious amounts of booze are brought on our first outing in blobby to ensure reparation for all help imparted is ensured.
Well - time to go and clean up the shower now - first time I've had a shower in a long time where I actually and desparately needed it! - I'm sure again that you know what I mean - it took me hours to clean the tools at the end of the day!
The trouble now is that blobby is no longer blobby - all traces of pink and yellow have gone - and now we are going for a khaki cream colour scheme! - I have bought a couple of Connelly hide seats from a Jag in Cream, white minilites (which we will probably coat with cream and we have a ton of cream smooth hammerite - so here goes!
I like Cream/khaki - we deliberated for ages over the best new colour - and we want to keep with the "miltary" sort of theme - and as we are not great "green" people then "desert storm" it is.
In fact - that seems like a darn good name for our scamp? -Any other suggestions?

Thanks again everyone - your help does encourage us to keep going!
All the best
Rich and Alex
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty Pics prior to engin removal

Post  GSalvage3 Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm

GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Great photo's, it does make re assembling it easier.

As you said the chasis does look in good nic (nic).

How wide are your seats???????????? have you measured them as there's not a lot of width in a scamp.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

It sounds like you pair are having great fun with Blobby. My dad & I built our first Scamp as a dad & lad project when i was 18.

We fought like cats & dogs from start to finish but it was a great time and made a pleasent change for my dad (who was sick of fixing my mini every other night whilst half the time I'd be in my room with the girlfreind!). Disconnecting Driveshafts! 993120
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Have you got a reg.No. for the beast,I might have some old original pictures of it. I do remember a Mk1 with a red dash that belonged to Wendy Hill's brother,the Scamp only came out once in a blue moon as he was a submariner.
wezgit daan saaf
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:57 am

Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Disconnecting Driveshafts! Empty Very interested

Post  GSalvage3 Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Wezgit (is that your name?? )

Yeah - those pics would be very interesting! - The car was previsouly on the Island of Guernsey - registration 29636, but I have now properly imported it - and it is without a reg!
I have the Cartificate of Export from Guernsey - and it states that the Scamp is a Mini Moke (spits on floor!) - with a VIN/Chassis No of 180JBM0001.
The certificate says that the car was first registered in 4/2/1980 - although I was reliably informed that the engine is out of a mini from around 1976-78.
What a polaver eh!
But - if you look at the pics that I took prior top dismantling "Blobby" - you can see that the front end is weird and does not conform to a standard Type 1, 2 or 3 - it is most similar to a 1 - but the side wings are not the right triangular shape. I think it is all soooo interesting - and would love to research the full history of Blobby!

Cheers
Rich
GSalvage3
GSalvage3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum