» Hello and looking to buy
by 77 SCAMP Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 pm

» Twinnie is back
by Mk3rob Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:02 pm

» (Almost) Free air Car
by Rum Tum Tugger Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 am

» Mk3 project darn sarf
by Mk3rob Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

» 1970 GRANTURAYAK Mini based kit car ( SCAMP ) ?????????
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 am

» mk2 scamp tub on ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 am

» Scamp MK1 Austin America history
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 am

Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around

Go down

Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Empty Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around

Post  Abu Hamster on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Howde,

My garage is currently full of international canoe. See attached picture.

http://www.sail-world.com/photos/Alt_Morrison%203.jpg

The boat is a shade over 5 metres in length.

I am planning on getting hold of a scamp to replicate the attached photo. I have a few questions.

1 How long is a Scamp?
2 How long is a Scamp LWB?
3 It it legal to have something longer than your car on the roof of the car?
My boat with mast and trailer will weigh something in the region of 100kg.

Am I being realistic? Could a Scamp be up to the task of enabling me to get to canoe events without having tow a trailer and being able to go faster than the 50mph legal limit?

I look forward to hearing from you cheers

Jim.

Abu Hamster

Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : Sailing, Listening to senser and filling my garage with projects
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Back to top Go down

Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Empty Re: Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around

Post  Abu Hamster on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm

And I just realised I posted this in the wrong place

DOH! Embarassed

Abu Hamster

Back to top Go down

Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Empty Re: Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around

Post  Regsmonster on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:54 am

Abu Hamster wrote:I being realistic? Could a Scamp be up to the task of enabling me to get to canoe events without having tow a trailer and being able to go faster than the 50mph legal limit?

I think you'll struggle to get a mini based Scamp to cruise at more than 50mph with a boat on top! Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_wink
Regsmonster
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:28 am

Hmm... 100Kg, that's a couple of cwt or 16 stone, the weight of a large adult, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Length: my Mk1 is slightly shorter than a Mini at 10ft (3m) long: I think Mk2s are a bit bigger. Maybe you need to look out for a 6 wheeler.

The Scamp itself has the aerodynamic qualities of a brick. I would have thought a racing hull should not add much more wind resistance, provided you can shroud or otherwise streamline the join between it and the car. Looking at the pic, would it be possible to carry the hull upside down?

Legally, overhang is (or was, at least) permitted as long as it's highly visible, lit up at night, and padded if sharp.

I'm not a million miles from MK, please PM me if you fancy discussing this over a pint.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 970
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Abu Hamster on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Thats very kind of you. Pints are my weakness. Twisted Evil

Am thinking of the easier option of a tow bar.

I know of a sweet 1380 gathering dust.

Abu Hamster

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 am

Abu Hamster wrote:Thats very kind of you. Pints are my weakness. Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_twisted

Am thinking of the easier option of a tow bar.

I know of a sweet 1380 gathering dust.

Pea has a reasonable 1380cc motor in her and she manages with Harriet's Chariot and trailer OK.

She's even seen the wrong side of 100mph whilst giving chase to the monster Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_lol So either a trailer or boat should be OK. Whilst a boggo 1275 or 998 would no doubt be a disaster. Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_rolleyes
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 am

TRR Motorsport wrote: So either a trailer or boat should be OK. Whilst a boggo 1275 or 998 would no doubt be a disaster. Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_rolleyes

naaaah..boat plus trailer only weighs 100Kg. Boat on it's own? 20Kg? My "super heavy" 15'6" Canoe only weighs around 36Kg, so a racing boat should be a lot lighter....to put it in perspective..I weigh *coughs* in excess of 110 Kg...and Scamps seem to manage moving me around... Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_biggrin

Confess...you're just trying to start some horsepower race... Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_biggrin
Jono
Jono

Number of posts : 386
Location : Work in the "Badlands of Oldbury".. Home amongst the little people, deep, deep in the Forest.
Job/hobbies : Professional Bodger and first-class excuse maker..... Scamp owner and club member!
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Abu Hamster on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:44 am

Sailing canoe not a paddle canoe,

Comes with a mast boom and slidy seat and carriage (International Canoe)

They are abit fast but about 75kg to 100kg (Not waid it yet)

Abu Hamster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Abu Hamster wrote:Sailing canoe not a paddle canoe,

Comes with a mast boom and slidy seat and carriage (International Canoe)

They are abit fast but about 75kg to 100kg (Not waid it yet)

Aha...you fooled me with this bit.... Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_biggrin

Abu Hamster wrote:My boat with mast and trailer will weigh something in the region of 100kg. .

Just done a quick Google....hull around 50Kg with an O/all minimum weight of 83Kg.... Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_cool Wouldn't be too keen on putting that much weight on top of a Scamp...not for power/weight ration but stability concerns.... build a super light trailer and go for it...
Jono
Jono

Number of posts : 386
Location : Work in the "Badlands of Oldbury".. Home amongst the little people, deep, deep in the Forest.
Job/hobbies : Professional Bodger and first-class excuse maker..... Scamp owner and club member!
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:55 pm

I remember we had 13 people on Godders Mk3 one year at Stoneleigh or was it Newark (possibly a record) - but his suspension was never the same after that - Chaz won't want to hear that coz he owns it now Any one here local to Milton Keynes and have a spare project car sitting around Icon_lol
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Abu Hamster on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Ok revised idea

Wanted Scamp local to MK must be complete.

Prefer something with a slanty screen.

MK area

Abu Hamster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down