Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped?

+2
SUMB
shandk
6 posters

Go down

MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped? Empty MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped?

Post  shandk Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi all.

i have recently aquired a mk1 scamp, however previous owner doesnt know where the log book is and according to the DVLA  it has been of the road  since 1988 (log book could be anywhere!). So i am trying to get a log book for it but i cant find the chassis plate. I have the number plate for it. I was wondering if anybody would be able to help in finding out the chassis number so i could apply for a log book. (still in process of stripping and cleaning so might find it! Dont want to get too far into yet until i can get a log book!)

Many Thanks
Kurtis

shandk

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : plasterer/restoring classic cars
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Back to top Go down

MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped? Empty Re: MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped?

Post  SUMB Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi Kurtis,

Welcome.

Unfortunately, the original Scamp issued chassis number was nothing more than a piece of aluminium with 4 or 5 numbers stamped on it for the builder to then pop rivet somewhere on the chassis.

If you have the registration number, engine number, previous MOT certs and tax discs - the more the better - then the job of getting a replacement V5 shouldn't be impossible.

It would be worth entering the registration mark here - https://www.autocheck.co.uk/ - to see what comes up as a starting point.
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped? Empty Re: MK1 Scamp Chassis number. Where are the normally stamped?

Post  OSR Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:17 pm

If you have some history might be worth giving Andrew McLean (current owner of the Scamp Motor Company) a call. I know he has records for MK2's and 3's I'm not sure what records he has for MK1's as that was when Robert Mandry owned it, but worth a call.

Also have a look through these pictures
http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/old_pics/mk1.htm
You never know your Scamp might be featured  Very Happy
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  shandk Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for the info. Will have a look round. Unfortunately the previous owner currently can't find any paperwork for it as it apparently hasn't been taxed since 88' (his house and garage was full of many things!) hopefully i can get it all sorted, look forward to driving it, its all in pieces all ready for welding and cleaning!

shandk

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Rum Tum Tugger has a tremendous database of Scamps - Could be worth dropping him a line as he is likely to have information and possibly photos of your MK1
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shandk Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks. Hes had a look but has no information on this one. New one for the list!

shandk

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Originally they were supplied with a little brass plate that was riveted on,that was the only chassis number. Something like 0041 indicating it was the 41st Scamp to be made. if you can find this (it wasn't very big) I would suggest stamping that number into the frame somewhere where you can remember.
wezgit daan saaf
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 am

If I rembember aright, I didn't even get one of those - used an ali offcut and borrowed the number punches from work. Rivetted it to the main underbonnet crossmember above one of the subframe towers: galvanic corrosion did for the rivets after a decade or two, but by then I'd (more or less) learned to use a stick welder so wrote the number in weld instead.

Moral: if you find a couple of 3mm holes in the chassis about three inches apart, you may be out of luck.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:33 pm

When you find your number, one of these might be of use. https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk/t1402-scamp-chassis-plates
Regsmonster
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  shandk Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Regsmonster wrote:When you find your number, one of these might be of use. https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk/t1402-scamp-chassis-plates

Will definitely invest in one when i do!

shandk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down