Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Hello from a potential Scamp (er)...

5 posters

Go down

Hello from a potential Scamp (er)... Empty Hello from a potential Scamp (er)...

Post  zett Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello all, I've been looking for cheap and fun little runaround that will get me out on some of my local tracks primarily to do a little light logging...

Came across the Scamp website as a result of seeing the ebay listing for the MK I that's currently there. Probably a little too much money for what I'm after, but I *really* like the Scamp.

Hoping for some help as through some friends of mine I've been offered a MK II rolling shell which has never been completed and apparently has all of the panels and canvas to complete it but no engine. It is registered on an exempt 60's plate...

1. I haven't seen it yet, but can you give me some things to look out for, particularly what parts I must ensure are present that are expensive if they're not!
2. Will any mini engine/gearbox fit? Which engine would you recommend? I believe the radiator is bracketed to the engine in a mini, does it remain mounted the same way when fitted to the Scamp?
3. If it's a rolling chassis will I need any part of the subframe from a donor vehicle?
4. Did the kits come with a wiring loom or will I need this from a donor?
5. If the registration shows the vehicle as being a Mini (and not a Scamp) how do I protect it's exempt status?
6. Is there a favoured wheel size/tyre for light off road track work?
7. Are the headlamps/taillamps Mini or from something else?
8. What's the easiest way of getting cabin(!) heating?
9. Any members near Andover prepared to help? (I'll buy the beer!)

Sorry about all the questions from a noob, but I'm a bit keen!!

Thanks!

zett

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Sailing, Photography
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Hello from a potential Scamp (er)... Empty Welcome

Post  Mk3rob Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Zett

Welcome to the Madhouse drive1

To answer your questions

The Mk2 is the longest of the 3 versions, with the extra behind the drivers seat, so just right for storage. Your a man after my own heart, i measure my cars by what length of wood i can get in them, or in the case of my Mk3 Scamp the 6x3 fence panels i lashed onto the roof Very Happy

The 60's exempt plate is not the problem, its what its described as that is the prob. If the log book still describes it as Mini and has never been on the road as a Scamp you will have trouble tax/Mot ing it. My is described as Austin Mini Scamp. There are other varients but these have history of being on the road and used before DVLA got serious with descriptions.

Any Mini engine and subframe will go in. For just pottering about in the forest the gearing ratio of the 998cc is best. See Past events...... Scamp picnics.....Turkey runs............Easter off roading

Tyres................ 12" Mud and Snows should do the trick, thats what i run on my Mk3 for off roading. See above again.

The only bits that come with the Kit is the steel box section and the ally plates.
If its a rolling shell then somebody has started building it or stripped it out for a refurb. So it might have a wiring loom.
Front wheels/susp attach to the front sub frame. Only the Mk1 used the rear sub frame, Mk 2/3 has the rear radius arms attached to the box section .
Have you actually seen it yet ???????

Front lights are Mini, rear are anything you want to fit onto it again see past event photos.

Heater rofl that is most of the Scamp club.
Mine has an old heater that just blasts down wards with no screen de-mist facility. Any heater will fit, you just need to make some brackets up. Best off with a Mini one as at least they are available second hand and you can use the mini wiring diagrams.
If you go to any Mini shows most of the parts you need you can pick up from the "Auto jumbles" and the criticle bits (bearings etc) are all there as well.

If you scroll through the "memberlist" at the top of this page you can find other members near you. there are several down your way.
You missed us last June as a group of us were down on Hayling Island for almost a week.

Regards Rob (of the Mk3 varient)
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Hello from a potential Scamp (er)... Empty Re: Hello from a potential Scamp (er)...

Post  OSR Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Zett wavey

Just to add to Rob's reply:
- Registration. Besides the Make and Model entries on the V5 the other important bit is to check the Special Notes section. You want to see 'Rebuilt - Assembled from parts some or all of which were not new.' This is the part that says it's a kit car. If it's an unfinished project then it wouldn't have been for any official inspection which would be required to change the registration document. Pre-1998 the requirements to register kit cars were much easier (and cheaper) to meet then the current regs and the introduction of the SVA test in '98 effectively killed off the Scamp weeping If there's anything you're not sure about on the registration doc post on the Technical Area board and someone's likely to know the answer. If you only want to use it on private land then trailering it to site might be a option?

- Heaters. Aldi had their heated seat covers in stock again 10 days ago but you'll need a fag lighter http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_27435.htm

- Wiring. I think you'll have to consider any wiring looms that come with it as bin fodder. My MK2's wiring was 25 years old and mainly green when I bought it. Amazingly it'd managed to get through an MOT the week before I got it but I suspect the tester must have been a mate of the seller... My OH has completely rewired it for me and drawn some proper wiring diagrams which I can email a copy of to you if you do take it on and need a starting point.

- Parts required. Like the wiring assume anything rubber is perished and all bearings are seized and will need replacing. Luckily everything you need is available fairly easily either new from the likes of Minispares.com or second hand on either Ebay or at shows & autojumbles. Joining your local mini club is a good idea as they're usually happy to adopt Scamps (we look good on the club stand at shows Very Happy) and will help with advice and finding bits. Just be aware that if you need to rewire it and rebuild all four corners then it'll probably cost you more in bits then the car's worth - trust me I have the receipts to prove it for my MK2! To be fair I have bought mainly new and upgraded parts as I want to keep it for a good few years but even though most parts are quite cheap individually they soon mount up.

Charlie
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Hello from a potential Scamp (er)... Empty Re: Hello from a potential Scamp (er)...

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Zett,

As you may gather, the big problem with this Scamp would be registering it. The days are long past since a kit car built with a single donor was, for registration purposes, simply the old car rebodied. Now, there is a whole new set of hoops that must be jumped through, including up-to-date safety standards which the Scamp, with its solid corners, simply doesn't conform to.

If the V5 is for the original Mini, then I'm afraid there's no chance now of registering the Scamp. The only alternative is to leave it unregistered and use it purely off-road, trailering it to and from events. Other possibilities have been discussed in this forum - round off the corners so it does conform, get a Manx registration - but are not really practical.

Sorry to tiddle on your matches, but there it is. Continue to keep your eyes on e-Bay!

Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  zett Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks all for your help and especially with the registration questions.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is a non-starter for me (much as I'd like to do it!) because of the registration issue. According to the seller the registration document describes it as a '66 Mini Convertible! I'm going to do some more digging but if it involves getting involved with SVAs and a fight to maintain it's exempt status I'll probably pass..

zett

Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Sailing, Photography
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 pm

zett wrote:Thanks all for your help and especially with the registration questions.

I'm beginning to suspect that this is a non-starter for me (much as I'd like to do it!) because of the registration issue. According to the seller the registration document describes it as a '66 Mini Convertible! I'm going to do some more digging but if it involves getting involved with SVAs and a fight to maintain it's exempt status I'll probably pass..

That little bit about Mini Convertible hints at the possibility of DVLA being informed of a change in the past - You can no longer change the body type without providing tons of paperwork.

Does it say anywhere on the V5 about assembled from parts? Could be worth joining the club and seeing if the president can help out?
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down