» Hello and looking to buy
by 77 SCAMP Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 pm

» Twinnie is back
by Mk3rob Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:02 pm

» (Almost) Free air Car
by Rum Tum Tugger Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 am

» Mk3 project darn sarf
by Mk3rob Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

» 1970 GRANTURAYAK Mini based kit car ( SCAMP ) ?????????
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 am

» mk2 scamp tub on ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 am

» Scamp MK1 Austin America history
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 am

Too hot....and its not the weather !

Go down

Too hot....and its not the weather ! Empty Too hot....and its not the weather !

Post  Billbod on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Sorted out the inlet manifold,the carb and all new hoses,new air filter, the cooling system flushed and all new hoses,the coil, disi,plugs,new battery, new alloys and tyres x SIX, fitting extinguisher ( you never know) and probably lots of other little jobs !

Taxed and insured........lets roll........10 minutes and the temperature gauge it getting too high............turn around and check it out ?

Do MK3's have a problem with cooling ? Do you change radiator....add kenlow.......or both ?

Thanks

Billbod

Number of posts : 39
Job/hobbies : Mini kit cars !
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Too hot....and its not the weather ! Empty Re: Too hot....and its not the weather !

Post  Mk3rob on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 am

Er Yes, mostly

The prob mainly is all thing mini..........does the sender match up properly with the guage, is it earthed through the head ok etc. Mine used to run anything betwee 100-110, then i did something ???????????? now it runs lower.
I have managed to get hold of some temp stickers that i fit on top of the rad and they give a better indication.

I got an elec fan from the scrappies and fitted that, and an oil cooler can help.

Did you remember to remove the leaded size 10 from the right hand pedal Twisted Evil
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2461
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Too hot....and its not the weather ! Empty Re: Too hot....and its not the weather !

Post  Martin & Nettie on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Is the thermostat opening?????
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Too hot....and its not the weather ! Empty Photo's

Post  Mk3rob on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Have we seen any photo's of the beast??

Whats your front grill like, is there enough holes in it to let the air in.
My bonnet has a vent grill in it to let hot air out, as well as the normal inner wheel arch vents.

Forgot about the thermostat..Doh
There cheap, get another one. When/if you get one you need to drill 1/8" holes around the seating area, this allows more cooling to the area of the 2/3 pots before the thermostat opens.

Hope thats more food for thought.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2461
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:44 pm

If the thermostat checks out try bleeding the system again, air locks can cause overheating.
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 pm

MK3s suffer terribly with running hot. It's a combination of a small hole to let air in and open wheel arches. On a Mini the negative air pressure within the wheelarch effectively sucks the air out of the engine bay through the radiator. on a Scamp this can't happen.

I countered this by having more holes than grill on the front, a 4 core rad with a rubber seal between it and the inner wing that forces the air through the rad rather than round it, a 13 row oil cooler on the offside inner wing piped in to the water system as a second rad and a plastic baffle infront of the arch to stall the air as it enters the wheel arch to reduce air pressure. In all it works very well on my MK2. It's sat at 105mph before now with no overheating issues Cool
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Too hot....and its not the weather ! Empty Too hot....

Post  Billbod on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Been busy ( again ) thinking about this problem.......already fitted new thermostat with six 3mm holes drilled.....
Step one. Five 25mm holes running along length of bonnet ( above radiator )
Step two. Had an idea ! on the wing of land rover defenders, there are vents that I thought would fit on the side of the wings. So I nipped round to
my mate, Alfs, who has all things land rover and got a pair . then fitted them.
Step three. While sitting there admiring my work ......I looked at the grill on the MK3 .......the penny dropped.....removed two metal grill bars
and increase the air flow by 33%.............................Will be designing a new grill front when the wife stops moaning about
" thats another day you have spent in that garage "

Will try again tomorrow to see how she runs..........to the petrol station now it's gone down a penny !

Sorry about no photographs..... I am still in feet and inches ......will ask my daughters how to load some ASAP, thanks for comments.
It's good to know that you are not alone..........

Billbod

Number of posts : 39
Job/hobbies : Mini kit cars !
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down