Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Mini Sport Smootha Rides

4 posters

Go down

Mini Sport Smootha Rides Empty Mini Sport Smootha Rides

Post  SUMB Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 pm

I have to say what a revelation these new front cones are woohoo. The Scamp now has supple front suspension bounce Just wish I could say the same about the rear Mad

I must thank Steve, president of Bomber County Minis and owner of Tyre and Tech here in Lincoln, for all the help getting these fitted. Without his guidance and ingenuity I would be sitting in the corner of the Tyre & Tech workshop sucking my thumb, rocking back and forth and waiting for the men in the white coats to come and fetch me. weeping

As a word of warning for anyone else looking to fit the Smootha Ride cones - Do not attempt this without a cone compressor. Unlike standard cones with Hi-Lo's the Smootha Rides must be compressed to get the top arm back in place and fit the spindle bar. Luckily I decided to take my cone compressor with me up to the workshop Very Happy

Unluckily though, for me, a previous owner of the Scamp had replaced the chassis rail that the sub-frame towers bolt to and forgotten to re-drill the centre hole that the compressor tool passes through scratch I am so glad Larry didn't bring his young son, Jacob, as he may have gone home with some extra words in his vocabulary nono

So my message to the BCM guru is
bow bow bow bow bow
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Mini Sport Smootha Rides Empty Un-numb Bum

Post  Mk3rob Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 am

Ok, so what was the price of this smoother rde Twisted Evil
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Mini Sport Smootha Rides Empty Re: Mini Sport Smootha Rides

Post  SUMB Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 am

90 of her majestys pounds. Picked up the bits from the Bingley Hall show the other week. Got the cones for 70 quid for the pair and then 40 quid for a full set of Hi-Lo's, but as I only wanted the fronts I sold the rears to one of the lads in the Mini club for £20 as he just wanted a set of rear Hi-Lo's.

Obviously now wishing that I had kept all of them as I would like to try the Smootha Ride cones in the rear too.
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 am

I've just bit the bullet too chaz...

Ordered a pair of rear smootha ride cones (£30+vat each from Minisport).I'll see what they're like before I try my hybrid versions out.

Having just set up the front ride height & fitted the new adjustable bottom arms & tie rods, I want a couple of weeks off from the front suspension.
Managed to tweak my subframe mod's out & got both sides to 1deg neg camber, 2deg castor. (passenger side was 6deg pos camber & 14deg castor...no wonder walle wanted to dive into the hedge all the time.)
Just got tracking to sort out tmrw today.
Oh & also stop the drivers side wheel from spining when I go round islands (bl@@dy torque steer).
Anyone tried balance weights on long driveshaft to get rid of torque steer (like modern cars) ?

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Just a quick update...

Rear Smootha ride cones from MiniSport turned up on tuesday morning.....woohoo...unfortunately has been a week from hell at work (from sat night to friday worked 85hrs), so had no time to try the puppies out.

Today the munchkin let me spend an hour of our time together fitting them...result.

Only done about a 60mile run to Coventry & back, but....what a difference Shocked

The kangaroo back end has totally gone. Very Happy Yes you can still feel big bumps, but normalish road bumps feel significantly smoother. Driving over the same roads i drive every week & knowing every bump painfully well, i'm very impressed with the ride.

I noticed the same thing as Chaz with the front cones, the rears are about 20-25mm longer than the original cones.
Mini Sport Smootha Rides 2011-02-26154315
(The original cone looks funny because the metal cup is only dropped back in, it parted from the rubber getting it off the hilo)

By winding the hi-lo down to its shortest length the cone will just fit into a mark 2 scamp without using a cone compressor. I found that the threaded adjuster (Minisport Hi-lo cones) sticks just past the ally casting & required a quick trim off with a hacksaw (about 2mm cut off). This just leaves the circlip in place & allows the hi-lo to slide into place.

Altogether a noticable improvement.

(Just need to have a little play around some islands on the way home from work tonight to check out how the back end behaves. After a play on monday night with the old cones, i've struggled to get the back end to break out in the wet, but quite a bit of understeer as the drivers side wheel starts to spin in 3rd gear!)

Will update when i've bedded the cones in a bit.

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Back to top Go down

Mini Sport Smootha Rides Empty RE: Mini Sport Smootha Rides.

Post  GT3Rob Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:06 am

H i I was Looking at this set up for mk3 and i was informed that although the fronts are soft, the rears in the kit are standard.
is this the case and if extension brackets are used for 13" wheels on the scamp what type of cone is required for the rear? New soft, standard or comp?
Do the new smootha rides fit a standard hi low/adjusta ride cone/trumpet??
GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Retro Cars, Unfinished projects, cars from 1960,s onwards.
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi Rob,

The cones I bought are the Moulton Smootha Ride ones from mini-sport.

They are only available in one hardness, but have a slightly different shape to the normal mini cone.
By being slightly longer & a different shape, they are supposed to be a more progressive spring rate.

Although the mini-sport website says you have to use the Moulton Adjusta-Ride version of the hilo, I'm using the cheap as chips mini-sport cast hilos & they fit & work fine.

After 800+ miles I'm very impressed with the rears. Saving up for a set for the front now.

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down