» Hello and looking to buy
by 77 SCAMP Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 pm

» Twinnie is back
by Mk3rob Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:02 pm

» (Almost) Free air Car
by Rum Tum Tugger Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 am

» Mk3 project darn sarf
by Mk3rob Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:40 pm

» 1970 GRANTURAYAK Mini based kit car ( SCAMP ) ?????????
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:56 am

» mk2 scamp tub on ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:55 am

» Scamp MK1 Austin America history
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 am

Scamp tour across Europe

Go down

Scamp tour across Europe Empty Scamp tour across Europe

Post  Scamping It on Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 am

Hi, I am new here. My name is Jon I am 26 years old and I have like scamps for some time, I almost brought one 3 years ago but lost out on the bid on ebay in the last minute. I have just arrived back from Canada where I have been skiing for 6 months. I am in a position to do a trip around Europe, but I want to do this scamp. I think this in the summer months would be an absolutely awesome experience. One of my friends it up for this adventure, so I will not be doing this alone. What I am looking for is a Scamp that could do this journey and not be to much hassle on route. I plan to make a blog/ website about the aventure and will try to get some kind of sponsorship to ease the cost burden. Do you guys have any idea on the sort of scamp I should go for? Looking to start the adventure late June/ early July. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jon What a Face drive1

Scamping It

Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Ski Instructor
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Scamp tour across Europe Empty Re: Scamp tour across Europe

Post  ZED on Sun May 16, 2010 7:26 am

Hi Jon,
Welcome to the forum, and I like your sense of adventure! Scamp tour across Europe Icon_cool Scamp tour across Europe Icon_lol

I'd say a suitable Scamp would be one that you've built/rebuilt yourself. That way you'll know exactly how everything has been done, and you'll be able repair it without any hidden surprises along the way. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_biggrin

All the best,
Elaine. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_smile
ZED
ZED

Number of posts : 1026
Job/hobbies : Calibration Technician. Cars, guns, allotment!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger on Sun May 16, 2010 8:12 am

...or if the worst comes to the worst, at least you'll have nobody to blame but yourself!
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 970
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Sun May 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Jon, welcome to the world of insanity. But there again you must already be there as you go down mountains on 2 planks of wood.

I live up in WV8 pendeford, PM me and we could meet up.

Other than that PM "Mr Bridger" who organizes Italian Job tours every year to the locations from the film.

Regards Rob
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2461
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Scamping It on Sun May 16, 2010 8:13 pm

"I'd say a suitable Scamp would be one that you've built/rebuilt yourself. That way you'll know exactly how everything has been done, and you'll be able repair it without any hidden surprises along the way." mess

This would be fine if I had a lot of free time and I was planning to do this next year. However, I have about 1 month preparation and then I have around 2 months travel need to be back and ready to go for the next ski season. I could probably Teach my self the basics of a mini engine from a manual, but building one from scratch would be far to time consuming. Sad I need a fast practical approach so, was looking for any pointers it what to actually aiming at buying. From date of registration to mark. Any ideas? or even better and direct link to descent scamps for sale. It I purchase one it will most like get used and then come semptember I will have to resell it, unless I intent shipping it over to Canada and doing a |tour of there! affraid

Jon

Scamping It

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED on Mon May 17, 2010 6:20 am

It's not just the engine that you'll need to know about... To enjoy doing a European driving trip in a Scamp, it'd be wise to have plenty of mechanical knowledge in your head, so you can fix (by the roadside) anything that it throws at you. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_wink

Scamps are quite rare, and obviously we can only advise on whether they are decent or not, if:
A. The car has attended Scamp events (the more recent the better, as they do tend to get chopped & changed over the years).
B. Somebody in the club has seen it around, and has been able to take a good look at it, chat with the owner, etc.
C. We went to look at it ourselves.

I'd advise you to get an expert (somebody who's built/extensively rebuilt a Scamp themselves, not just prettied up!) to go with you, and inspect the Scamps that you're interested in buying.

As for the V5c, you need to look for a car that is correctly registered as a Scamp.... even better if you can get a older one that's Tax exempt, but they come up for sale few & far between!

Hope that clears a few bits up for you,
Elaine. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_biggrin
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie on Mon May 17, 2010 12:55 pm

"been skiing in Canada for 6 months" must have plenty of dosh (ski instructor) - if so why buy a Scamp? I'd go for a lambo Gallardo and travel in style Scamp tour across Europe 887336
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono on Mon May 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Scamping It wrote: ..... will try to get some kind of sponsorship to ease the cost burden.

Do you think I could get sponsorship for my holiday too?
Jono
Jono

Number of posts : 386
Location : Work in the "Badlands of Oldbury".. Home amongst the little people, deep, deep in the Forest.
Job/hobbies : Professional Bodger and first-class excuse maker..... Scamp owner and club member!
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Scamping It on Mon May 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Martin & Nettie wrote:"been skiing in Canada for 6 months" must have plenty of dosh (ski instructor) - if so why buy a Scamp? I'd go for a lambo Gallardo and travel in style Scamp tour across Europe 887336

I was living in the most expensive part of Canada over the winter Olympics and have been doing what you do in a ski resort, partying. That does not come cheap beers where £5 a pint, and I didn't get paid that much either. Some people will work to next to nothing if you give them a place to live and a ski pass, I come into that sphere. So no I am not rolling in it. A Scamp is not a fast flash car, but it has loads of personalty that is why I want a scamp. It looks cool and is almost unique, therefore ideal for it intended purpose. I just want to do something fun in a fun car, what's wrong with that?

Scamping It

Back to top Go down

Post  Scamping It on Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Jono wrote:
Scamping It wrote: ..... will try to get some kind of sponsorship to ease the cost burden.

Maybe if you come up with an idea that can be sponsored Cool

Scamping It

Back to top Go down

Post  Scamping It on Mon May 17, 2010 6:41 pm

MESS wrote:It's not just the engine that you'll need to know about... To enjoy doing a European driving trip in a Scamp, it'd be wise to have plenty of mechanical knowledge in your head, so you can fix (by the roadside) anything that it throws at you. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_wink

Scamps are quite rare, and obviously we can only advise on whether they are decent or not, if:
A. The car has attended Scamp events (the more recent the better, as they do tend to get chopped & changed over the years).
B. Somebody in the club has seen it around, and has been able to take a good look at it, chat with the owner, etc.
C. We went to look at it ourselves.

I'd advise you to get an expert (somebody who's built/extensively rebuilt a Scamp themselves, not just prettied up!) to go with you, and inspect the Scamps that you're interested in buying.

As for the V5c, you need to look for a car that is correctly registered as a Scamp.... even better if you can get a older one that's Tax exempt, but they come up for sale few & far between!

Hope that clears a few bits up for you,
Elaine. Scamp tour across Europe Icon_biggrin

Thanks for that help. I got a mini manual that will come along with me, but I have next to no experience in that field. I can however teach my self most things from book, so I hope this is no different. Are there any scamp shows coming up soon, and do they usually have many scamps up for sale?

Scamping It

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie on Mon May 17, 2010 7:41 pm

"A Scamp is not a fast flash car, but it has loads of personalty that is why I want a scamp. It looks cool and is almost unique, therefore ideal for it intended purpose. I just want to do something fun in a fun car, what's wrong with that?"

Well I have heard Scamps called many things but "it looks cool", which Scamp was you looking at, they are all different, there is nothing wrong with doing something fun in a fun car but if your not a mechanic then don't bother and if you can't fix it on the spot and you can't pay to have it fixed then be prepared to leave it and hitch a lift home (many Euorpean countries don't like you leaving your car in their country to dispose of). Some chaps have done the Mongal rally in a Scamp but I don't think it made it back and there was a Scamp in the Sarah desert some years ago. Don't forget that depending how old the Scamp you buy the spares may be a bit scarce in Europe. What ever you decide and let us know how you get on.
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB on Mon May 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Indeed Martin, a MK1 Scamp did attempt The Mongol Rally an few years back, and I have spoken to the lunatic involved many times.

TBH Jon, if you are lacking a basic grounding in Mini mechanics and vehicle electrics then an unknown and untested Scamp is not really the best route.

If you are looking for the adventure but without so much of the headaches what about joining up on something like the Scally Rally or The P to B. They are hugely fun events, involve a hoon around Europe and you get to raise money for charity for good measure.

I personally have attempted the Mongol Charity Rally, but unfortunately not in a Scamp (Maybe next time driving ) and also only got as far as Kazakhstan so I can understand your itchy feet. But also have seen many other crews fail to even get much further than Germany in much more modern cars than a Scamp

For something like this you need to adhere to the 6 P's
SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin & Nettie on Mon May 17, 2010 9:05 pm

http://www.ramshacklerally.com/about

http://www.wackyrally.co.uk/

http://www.motoscape-rally.co.uk/

Here is a few websites that do madcap rallies in Europe that might float your boat before you head back to Canada for the winter Scamp tour across Europe 341549
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Back to top Go down

Post  muttley on Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Maybe if you come up with an idea that can be sponsored

Someone not far from me is going on a big adventure.......
Scamp tour across Europe 2
muttley
muttley

Number of posts : 397
Job/hobbies : Kit Cars, Retro Cars, Cycling, Watching Unbuilt Scamps
Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  ZED on Fri May 21, 2010 6:50 am

muttley wrote:
Someone not far from me is going on a big adventure.......
Scamp tour across Europe 2

Lucy? Hope so! Scamp tour across Europe Icon_cool

Elaine&Reg.
ZED
ZED

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down