Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Mk 2 Scamp registration

5 posters

Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty Mk 2 Scamp registration

Post  neil gavin Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 am

Hello I have just bought a mk 2 rolling shell which I would love to restore as I have always wanted one and being in the mini scene for 30 years and recently retired look forward to doing the only problem is it has no documentation only a 1980 Clubman log book. Can anyone help me on how I need to go about registering it after the restoration or by other means as information I have been getting seems a bit vague, is there a place on the shell that I should look for a chassis number other than the usual small alloy plate, look forward to hearing from you with an ideas, thank you
Neil Gavin

neil gavin

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : retired mini restorer
Registration date : 2017-01-21

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty Re: Mk 2 Scamp registration

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Neil, I'm very sorry to have to tell you this, but it is no longer possible to register Scamps for road use.

Kit car Construction and Use regulations were tightened up considerably in 1998, so much so that the Scamp, with its square corners, didn't realistically have a hope of complying, and kit production came to an end forthwith.  If the Clubman was the donor vehicle, and its conversion to a Scamp was never completed, then you are, to put it bluntly, stuck.  However if it was registered in its reincarnated form (probably with a Q plate) then you will need some sort of documentary evidence.  The only other way, and it's a bit dodgy, may be to find a registered Scamp that is fit only for the scrap heap, and use your shell to "restore" it.

Incidentally the later Mk 2's - those made by Andrew MacLean - had the chassis number written in weld on one of the cross-members. Those made by Robert Mandry didn't.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi Neil.

Has it actually been used on the road in the past, have number plates attached and an old tax disc in the screen ? If the engine number matches the log book as well, I wonder if there is any way the DVLA could be persuaded it's OK. Not sure where you stand as you have effectively been sold a car with the wrong ID. Whether the previous owner was aware of this or had at some point been driving it around for years without knowing makes things a bit tricky. What you do about it might depend on how much you paid for it.

Getting an unregistered kit car on the road now will involve passing the IVA test and although it wouldn't be impossible what you would end up with probably wouldn't look much like a Scamp.

I hope you can sort something out.

Steve G

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : .
Registration date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  neil gavin Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:18 am

It is a totally bare shell, no engine / running gear, no body panels it must of been on the road before there are no plates etc, I am beginning to wonder if he has used the documentation on his Mk1 and I have been sold a pup, don't know what to do now do I report it or try and find a log book already started restoring it sanded down the chassis and rust treated it before applying it's first coat of red lead, to say gutted is an under statement

neil gavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

The other possibility is to restore your Scamp for use purely as an off-roader, with (say) 13" wheels, sump guard and an inboard exhaust. Seriously engineered roll cage and full harness seat belts would seem to be essential, but no worries about lighting.  It would also be useful if it floats. Rolling Eyes

Incidentally I see that animated emoticons such as the one above aren't animated in W10 - anyone else have the same problem?
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty scamp

Post  neil gavin Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Had thought about making a trailer if any one was interested, if all else fails, I am 63 bit to old for off roading

neil gavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

Too old? I didn't stop till I was 70 - and that was only because I had to give up driving for medical reasons. Mk 2 Scamp registration Oldgit
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty old age

Post  neil gavin Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I have type 2 diabetes and cellulitis of the legs which means off roading isn't an option I can take I'm afraid, would love to be able though

neil gavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Neil
We normally have a bit of a Scamp Holiday around Tywyn way
Maybe you/we could arrange a visit.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty holiday

Post  neil gavin Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Sounds good to me, would love to see the different cars really like the scamps

neil gavin

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 pm

neil gavin wrote:It is a totally bare shell, no engine / running gear, no body panels it must of been on the road before there are no plates etc, I am beginning to wonder if he has used the documentation on his Mk1

Guess that depends on whether the MK1 has a 1980 reg number?

What do you mean by having a '1980 Clubman log book'? Is this an old government issued registration log book or an manufacturers service record?
Either way you should have a reg number so plug it in these sites and see if it is mot'd, registered stolen etc
https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Of course you could send a V62 and £25 to DVLA requesting a new log book.............
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Mk 2 Scamp registration Empty log book

Post  neil gavin Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Hello and thank you for your input all the help I can get is very much appreciated, I have tried the websites you gave me a link to, the first one says that the car is definitely a mini clubman and the reg details are correct, the second website the DVLA does not recognize it at all and the motor insurers website says it is not insured, so can you cast any ideas as where to where I go from here, many thanks

Neil Gavin

neil gavin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down