Latest topics
» Mk. 3 Steering Rack?
by kevin1977 Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

» Mk3 6 wheeler for sale
by Mk3rob Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 pm

» Typhoon Jet power
by Mk3rob Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

» No more Mini events at Stanford Hall ????
by Mk3rob Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 pm

» Jim Clark Museum
by Mk3rob Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am

» MINI SUPER COMTESSE MICRO CAR
by Mk3rob Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm

» Another wrongly reg "Scamp"
by Mk3rob Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:43 pm

» Back on the Road
by gm4bnu Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 am

» More Help Please !
by Rum Tum Tugger Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Project.. No-Name?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project.. No-Name?

Post  Nutton on Tue May 12, 2015 11:04 pm

If anyone gets a good idea for a name let me know!

I've been after one of these for ages, so I'm chuffed to have gotten this one. With loads of parts too!
I do have a 1985 mini too but that needs some work. So the plan is to get the scamp sorted, then take the mini off the road and get that all nice again.

I picked this up at the end of last week.
The guy I bought it from said that his mate was the original builder then it went to him and it just sat on his driveway for 8 years untouched.
It all seems to be straight and true, nothing's obviously bent, I might weld some supports in to keep it that way, after seeing comments on here that the MK2s can be a bit weak.
Looking at the design, in some places I can see why.

On top it's fairly sound, there's surface rust but nothing serious, it just looks a bit tatty. Underneath it's a bit more rotten but I'm hoping that I can take it back and treat it all without having to cut anything out. I'll tip it onto it's side sometime soon and have a good look.

" />

I do already have a fairly substantial horde of mini parts and the bits that came with this have just added to that.
I think that I could probably build the car without buying much more at all.... but I've already started spending money on new bits!

The old lights were pretty beaten up, not helped by the fact that my dad decided to back the car transporter into it. There were some new trailer lights that came with the car but I wasn't too keen on them, they were far too chunky. So I got some posh new LED lights from Amazon for £15.

" />

" />

More to come!

Last edited by Nutton on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nutton

Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Minis and Scamps!
Registration date : 2015-05-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project.. No-Name?

Post  Nutton on Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 pm

A nice little touch I've noticed on the side panels is this:

" />
" />

"Built By
Melvin A. Freestone
26th May 1982"

If they weren't already so worn and disappearing I think I'd have made sure to keep those there. I might put it back on myself after I've finished.

The car has coilovers fitted to the rear but the standard cones on the front. the springs are really soft and seem to jack the rear up quite a way. It still has the fittings for cones so I'm tempted to put some back on, to get it a bit stiffer and lower. I doubt I'll be using the car offroad very much and I've already pulled out a rotten rear seat because I want to use the full bed as a pickup.. but I dunno.. maybe leave the coilovers fitted and see how it goes.. I did get a couple more springs so maybe I'll embrace it and try to fit coilovers to the front too. Rolling Eyes

" />

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 am

Just a note of interest: the bumper had a couple of spots fitted that looked a bit tired and one of the lenses was cracked. I took one apart to check if there was a good bulb (which turned out to be spotless) and found this:

" />
" />

I assume the spot just collected the water and was left to rot from the inside. Fingers crosed that isn't a sign of some hidden horrors on the car! Shocked

The whole dash was covered in some old fur that really didn't look too great after all those years.. if it ever did.. So I've pulled all of that off and I'll fabricate a new front out of brushed ally or something. I have a three clock set from a later mini that I'm tempted to put in, if only to save money.. Otherwise I use the gauges I already have and those that are in the car, most are looking a little worse for wear but are mostly Smiths, or I go and buy new shiny ones. I'm leaning towards shiny new Smiths....

There was a bar that came separate with the car, painted in the same blue hammerite as the engine bay. It also has the plugs and points gaps written on it.
After a search I found a couple of bolts and some scratched paint which definitely seem to suggest it goes between the wings, as below. Is this common? I'm not sure if there's enough room for carbs below it.
There are also these triangular pieces I've photo'd below. I can't find anywhere that they would want to fit. I assume they're for strengthening? Any ideas what they are or where they go?? One is slightly longer than the other and they're slightly different shapes.

" />
" />

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Wed May 13, 2015 12:14 am

I started taking back all the surface rust on the top, starting from the rear. The metal has then been treated and painted. Tomorrow I expect I'll finish the rest of the upper surfaces and maybe tip the car over to start underneath.

[img]" />[/img]

When it comes to it, I'm thinking I'll brush paint it in matte Landrover green (or similar) with black trim/details. Could I get some of your opinions? Is that too boring?
Do you have a suggestion for a better colour?

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G on Wed May 13, 2015 12:32 am

One of the places mk2 Scamps like to bend is the parts of the chassis where the subframes mount.  The cross bar, isn't a standard bit and the triangular bits probably bolt to it and then to the ends of the subframe mountings on the chassis. It looks like there is a hole in the subframe tower so they might be linked to the subframe as well. 

I'm still considering coilovers for mine as it will save having all the cones and trumpets hanging under the back. Some people I have spoken to about them say they haven't been able to get them to work very well and it's more to do with the dampers than the springs themselves. 
Perhaps the spare springs are stiffer ones, might be worth a try perhaps. 

I like original builders details I wonder if he is know by the club at all, have you looked through the old pictures to see if your car is on here ?

Steve G

Number of posts : 336
Job/hobbies : .
Registration date : 2014-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Wed May 13, 2015 9:42 am

As my name suggests, i have a Mk3, so dont quote me.

I seem to remember from other posts that the spreader bar between the towers is pretty standard for Mk2's.
Dont know about the extra bracing.

Have a look at the previous posts.
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2242
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger on Wed May 13, 2015 10:20 am

I found this in the Spring 1983 issue of Scampers, captioned "Melvin Freestone's Winner" - presumably at the '82 Picnic.  The quality is about as good as you could manage from a photocopier in those days.

Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 894
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, dancing master
Registration date : 2008-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G on Wed May 13, 2015 2:47 pm

I went looking for the like button then realised where I was !

Thats brilliant, it's great to have a picture of the car from back then. Looks like the alloy panels had some sort of engine turned finish on them.

Steve G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Thu May 14, 2015 12:47 am

Steve G wrote:One of the places mk2 Scamps like to bend is the parts of the chassis where the subframes mount.  The cross bar, isn't a standard bit and the triangular bits probably bolt to it and then to the ends of the subframe mountings on the chassis. It looks like there is a hole in the subframe tower so they might be linked to the subframe as well. 

I'm still considering coilovers for mine as it will save having all the cones and trumpets hanging under the back. Some people I have spoken to about them say they haven't been able to get them to work very well and it's more to do with the dampers than the springs themselves. 
Perhaps the spare springs are stiffer ones, might be worth a try perhaps. 

I like original builders details I wonder if he is know by the club at all, have you looked through the old pictures to see if your car is on here ?

Yeah I was searching around there with the triangular pieces but couldn't get anything to match up. I'll have another go sometime soon.

Thanks Rum Tum! That's great! Any ideas what it was he won? Very Happy

Steve G wrote:Looks like the alloy panels had some sort of engine turned finish on them.
Yeah you can still just about see it if you look closely. Infact you can just make some of it out if you take a look at the photos above with the builder's name and date

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger on Thu May 14, 2015 8:20 am

That nice cup he's holding looks like the "Best Of The Bunch" award, presented at each Picnic.  Perhaps the present holder would confirm?

For the ultimate in front end bracing see here.
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 894
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, dancing master
Registration date : 2008-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster on Thu May 14, 2015 11:59 am

The plot thickens, no mention of him winning best of the bunch or even best mk2 here.....

http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/best_of_the%20bunch.htm
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

View user profile http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Mon May 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Regsmonster wrote:The plot thickens, no mention of him winning best of the bunch or even best mk2 here.....

http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/best_of_the%20bunch.htm

So does anyone know what could have happened?
Did he just grab the trophy for a quick photo to pretend? whistle
Or could the record be wrong?
The trophy on that page does look like the one he's holding.

Is the 'S' logo on his t-shirt and the corner of the screen an older version of the Scamp Owners Club logo?
It's a shame the window one isn't there anymore.

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Mon May 25, 2015 8:59 pm

What classifies as a standard Scamp for insurance purposes? They're all different and as far as I'm aware there isn't really a standard condition is there?

When I come to insuring this, should I just declare anything that's different to other Scamps? What do you guys do?

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Mon May 25, 2015 9:33 pm

I've been working on the car in my spare time and have finished treating the upper surfaces.
I've tipped it over and have managed to finish most of the underside too.

Before I started:
" />

And after treating/painting some of it:
" />

So far It's all been pretty good, there haven't been any hidden horrors and there's nothing that needs to be replaced. I haven't needed to take any panels off either because all of the tubing had sealant between it and the panel.
I just need to finish the last couple of rear pieces now and then I want to drop the subby out so that I can attack that properly and get at anything hidden behind it.

I picked up some 13x7 Wellers for this, which needed some work, so I took them back to the metal and repainted them.
I was thinking about getting some blue/red stripes and Weller stickers to put them back to how they would have been but I tried some single black stripes first.... Thoughts? Very Happy

I had another play with those triangular pieces and managed to figure them out.
Do you think these will be enough for normal use? It is all thick heavy steel and I assume any load will be up/down so this should do the job... right? Smile

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G on Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Glad you figured out the braces. I think anything will help in terms of strengthening the subframe mounts but the main load will be taken by the diagonal one. For road use they probably don't need anything. The mounts on my car were bent and one had been welded. I think the main problem was that the subframe broke. 

One thing you might struggle with with your wheels is the clearance between the tyre and the inner wheel arch on full lock, a lot will depend on the tyres you are planing on using. Late Minis have lock stops on the racks to prevent the wheels rubbing so that might be one way to deal with things.

I have just noticed that your chassis has been modified a bit to give a bit more clearance for the front wheels. Yours has cut away sections on the front floor tubes. It's interesting to see how odd bits get changed. It might help get the bigger tyres on.

Steve G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Tue May 26, 2015 5:10 am

Unless you have extended radius arms, then you wont get 13" wheels/ tyres (unless they're 50 profile) on the back.

Insurance:
Declare it as a Kitcar
Tell them what is on the V5
Tell them the minimum.
Its a Scamp Kit car there is no standard Scamp, it depended on how the original owner built it.
There are very few that have not been adjusted over the years.

Dont dig yourself a hole, cause it can get deep very quickly.
Mk3rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G on Tue May 26, 2015 10:02 am

Mk3rob wrote:Unless you have extended radius arms, then you wont get 13" wheels/ tyres (unless they're 50 profile) on the back.

I hadn't considered the radius arms, good job Rob has his thinking head on ! If you are planning on running low profile road tyres as used on late Mini's you will probably be OK. 

I wonder, as the front of the chassis has been altered a bit if your car might already have extended trailing arms on it. Looking at the coilover picture normally they would be in the centre of the wheel. I can't quite see but it looks like the bottom bolt of the shock absorber isn't in line with the stub axle. The rear wheel arches have also been cut back which might also have been for bigger wheels/tyres. 

If you aren't sure stick a couple of pictures up of the rear trailing arms.

Steve G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Wed May 27, 2015 11:33 am

The car came with 13x5.5 Wellers with huge profile knobbly tyres already fitted so I think it's all already been done.
The rear wheels do sit a long way back, the box section that would have been behind the rear lights has all been cut away, otherwise the wheels would have fouled on them.
There's plenty of room for them at the back.
I had noticed the alteration at the front but hadn't really thought too much about it. Now it makes sense!
As these wheels are wider than the others, I wonder if that'll be enough.. I'd prefer to avoid an MPi rack if I can, so I might modify that front part a little more if I find I need to.

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Wed May 27, 2015 11:42 am

These are the wheels and tyres it had fitted:

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:08 pm

So the frame has all been treated and painted now. I did need to do a little patch work but nothing I couldn't handle.
The whole frame underside has been coated in anti-stone chip just to give it a bit more protection and I've put flexible watertight sealant between all the frame and the panels.

I've even managed to get a little bit of the top side painted! Very Happy

I had another quick look at the wheels. It looks like the alterations have all been tailored for those 13x5.5s with the huge kingpin tyres.
There's plenty of room there for the 13x7s with normal road tyres, but if I wanted to fit big knobbly tyres, I'd need to alter the back part of the front arches a little more.
I'm planning to use road tyres anyway though so that wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I'll get some more kingpin tyres for the thinner wheels anyway though. Then if I'm going to use it off-road, I can just change the wheels.
Do any of you have experience with the Kingpin remoulds? Are modern remoulds getting better or are they still a bit of a risk?

Thanks

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:31 pm

It's getting there!

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Well done
Looking a lot better than the first pic. Very Happy
Mk3rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Regsmonster on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 pm

Those wheels really suit it! Like it! Cool
Regsmonster

Number of posts : 433
Job/hobbies : I like to do things differently.
Registration date : 2008-06-20

View user profile http://www.2rr.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks Rob!

Reg do you mean the Starmags? They're just some old wheels I've thrown on it because the tyres hold air. Laughing
I'm fairly sure this'll have Wellers in some shape or other.

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nutton on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Work has been really getting in the way recently and I've been making little to no progress, despite the sunny weather. banghead

I did manage to do some stuff today though, mainly on the tailgate and this:

I made myself a template using military style font

Nutton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down