Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)

+8
red_leader
Steve G
Admin
GT3Rob
OSR
Mk3rob
NG Guy
TRR Motorsport
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)

Post  TRR Motorsport Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:57 am

It's amazing what a night loaded on caffeine spiked flu drugs can do for a man's creative juices and the centre of my sleepless nights attention was Pea.

Now I've been hatching plans for Pea for some time and early next year the garage should be complete and work can commence but I've got two trains of thought as to which direction I should take her and I'm stuck so I'd value my fellow Scampers opinions as you all know the legend that is Pea. 

The basic spec remains the same (although the 5 port will end up in the Mini and a new   BMW K-series head might make an appearance on an A+ block) and I'm going to replace the box steel roll hoop with tubular. But what should she look like? 

Should I progress the aero idea (no it is a serious thought) by keeping the rear wing adding a more pronounced from spoiler/spliter, a rear diffuser and lowering the car etc...

Or, do I take her back to basics and lose the rear wing. Take her back to the tea tray with a rollbar look? 

As she has an aero screen I also thought about losing the 70mm of bulkhead/dash that  houses the wiper assembly. This would allow me to lower the seat more and clean up the lines. But will it look less MK2? I want it to look like a MK2 lads in hot hatches need to know what has just pushed them down that twisty B-road!Laughing 

Your ideas and thoughts are welcome :-)
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty Pea Shall Rise Again!

Post  NG Guy Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:05 am

Hi James,

I prefer the second option; but would go for a slightly Africar pick-up look at the rear a bit like your Pug Scamp.

Just an idea - your call!! Regards NG Guy.

NG Guy

Number of posts : 174
Job/hobbies : NGs, Tarot, Retired Tech Author
Registration date : 2013-10-02

Back to top Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty Re: The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)

Post  Mk3rob Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:58 pm

I have been to many Mini and Scamp events over the last 10 years and seen many weird and wonderful vehicles. Some look great, others completely bonkers.

My opinion on projects, is that you should either go back to the basic build spec or go completely the other way and go totally weird.
But there again haven't you already done that with the JCB.

Go for standard body with hidden extras.

I'm sure that Neil still has some weird and wonderful caffeine induced ideas floating around his head that you could steal.
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2521
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

Back to top Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty Re: The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)

Post  OSR Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Don't expect a diffuser to do anything unless you have a flat floor.....
OSR
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 pm

You don't need a flat floor to make a diffuser work on a Scamp, cause all it has to is look cool and quirky at the same time and at £15 even lent up again my garage wall the diffuser is working. Well for me it is anyway. Laughing 

The more I think about it the more the rear wing has to go. It's just so 2008!
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  GT3Rob Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Whilst it wont need wheelie bars should you find a parachute like a drag car.
GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Retro Cars, Unfinished projects, cars from 1960,s onwards.
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Admin - Topic Split -Scamp Teardrop sent to "Caffeine Camper"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-06

https://scamps.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty Sorry Mr TRR

Post  NG Guy Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:22 am

I had not realized how my "innocent request" had got so out of hand!

Sorry James - good call Mr Admin!

NG Guy

Number of posts : 174
Job/hobbies : NGs, Tarot, Retired Tech Author
Registration date : 2013-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  GT3Rob Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Slip a reliant kitten body on top take it off when you need a scamp shape. Something like a silhouette racer shape!
GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  GT3Rob Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 pm

Imp skoda lada knowing how you like that sort of thing
GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Pea moved for the first one in nearly two years on Saturday.  They say storing a car isn't good for it. Well brake fluid is pooring out from one of the rear corners, so I guess that's another job when it finally gets into the workshop :-/
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18 am

Last edited by Steve G on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve G

Number of posts : 337
Job/hobbies : .
Registration date : 2014-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 pm

ECJ696W was originally a Mk2 and was owned by Martin Bates,VVW246L was a Mk1 and Martin did buy it and entered it into a Kit Car racing formula,it even made it to the heady heights of Motor Sport Magazine.
wezgit daan saaf
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

The resurrection of Pea - brainstorming session :-)  Empty Mk1 / Mk2

Post  red_leader Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 pm

wezgit daan saaf wrote:ECJ696W was originally a Mk2 and was owned by Martin Bates,VVW246L was a Mk1 and Martin did buy it and entered it into a Kit Car racing formula,it even made it to the heady heights of Motor Sport Magazine.

Thanks Chris
I will have to resort the photo album.
Looking again at http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/old_pics/med_res/mk1_race_3.jpg I can see the diagonal down sloping box to support the rear of the cone not a mini rear subframe.
red_leader
red_leader

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2008-05-14

http://www.scampownersclub.org.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 pm

The more I look into it the more I'm leaning towards supercharging a 5 port A-Series. And it would nake a great Autosolo car.

An E45 supercharger on a fab'd inlet manifold. Maybe a single 45 or Jenvey throttle bodies. A very mild cam would do fine me thinks

The current motor is going in the mini. I'll mothball the split 45s and bud a new motor onto the current gearbox.
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 pm

Steve G

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 am

You'll need lots of E45 (hand cream) by the end of the project for your lily whites. Twisted Evil 
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Steve G

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Ahh yes, she looks a bit tired in those photos.  The engine bay was always more function than form.  

In think it's about time she had a makeover ;-)
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am

Funny how things take a tangent.  I was all set to fit a supercharged 5 port in Pea and then I get to nose around a Red Top (2.0XE) conversion.  And it looks like I've got first refusal on it ;-)

I've got experience with these motors and 200bhp is easily achieved with carbs, ecu and a cam swap (more or less).  Add to that a dry sump kit, omega pistons, arrow rods, lose the internal timing wheel and shave 450 grams off the flywheel and you have a sweet bullet proof engine.  Oh and a straight cut box and diff would be needed of course ;-)
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve G Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Steve G

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

It might fit.......depends on the size of the hammer used !!!

Seriously tho', if it's already in a mini subframe (Watson or Allspeed conversion type)it should fit a treat..

Only potentional probs i can forsee are......

Exhaust downpipe.....I had to cut the bottom rail right at the front below the grille (bolted a piece of RHS on the outside to hold the front together).

Bulkhead.....if your looking at bike carb's & mega-squirt the manifold will be a lot shorter so less clearance issues....

Don't forget to vinyl trim & put a hole in the drivers & passenger seats.....that way the "excitement" can drain away easier  whistle 

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:40 pm

It's a Hall brothers subframe so it fits in the standard hole. The secret is to site the motor at zero degrees, which lends itself to a dry sump system, like in our last sunbeam shell. The standard engine sits at 7 degree and causes the clearance issues.

Bike carbs are a waste of time. 45s and MBE or Weber Alpha ignition are the cost effective, no hassle way forward on a budget. 

XEs are a doddle to build and respond well to absolute perfect cam timing, forget tolerances, 4 hours with a mate and a dial gauge works wonders ;-).

The current A series engine on split 45s with a passenger was a match for a Civic Type R up to 80.  I'm guessing the engine had maybe 115 - 120 bhp at the flywheel. A 200 - 215 bhp XE in a lightened version of Pea, say 550kgs would be a serious piece of hardware for sure :-D
TRR Motorsport
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 pm

No chance off doing a coffee and butty run in that then Twisted Evil 
Mk3rob
Mk3rob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next