Latest topics
» Ha Ha Another prat who cant drive
by Mk3rob Yesterday at 10:03 pm

» SOUTHERN PRE CHRISTMAS PUB MEET 19th NOVEMBER
by Mk3rob Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» White Mini Cooper stolen from Richmond last night.
by wezgit daan saaf Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:12 pm

» Mk. 3 Steering Rack?
by kevin1977 Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

» Mk3 6 wheeler for sale
by Mk3rob Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 pm

» Typhoon Jet power
by Mk3rob Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 pm

» No more Mini events at Stanford Hall ????
by Mk3rob Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 pm

» Jim Clark Museum
by Mk3rob Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am

» MINI SUPER COMTESSE MICRO CAR
by Mk3rob Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm

hello from an old members son

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hello from an old members son

Post  HenryCake on Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 am

Hello all, my name is henry cake (as clearly stated in forum name) son to fred cake.....well its been 5 years looking at this forum in fastionation at all these scamp beauties!

some of you may remember fred and he always talked fondly of the club and was proud of being one of the original members....sad too say fred passed away in april 2007 after a long battle with cancer in new zealand. ill never forget how upest he was that he missed out on the...i think 30th anniversery that you chas had....he loved bloody scamps... BUT the good news is so do i!! sad too say it now runs in the family and i owned a mini moke for a while and wish too grow this hobby of mine! and i also have alot of photo albums of scamp meetings from the 70s if you guys would be intrested i could put them up??
great too see how this has grown dad would be very proud!

henry

HenryCake

Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : student/woodworker
Registration date : 2011-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: hello from an old members son

Post  Mk3rob on Mon May 28, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Fred
Welcome "home"

I'm a relatively "Newbie" only 6 years in the club.

Rob
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2244
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John on Mon May 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Henry. Sorry to hear of Freds death. He was a great chap, not only a member but a founder member and President. I have happy memories of Fred at the scamp picnic at Ottershaw. I saw the scamp your father built ( a copy) in Newhaven East Sussex about 15 years ago. I'm sure quite a few members of the club will remember Fred, and would love to see some early pictures of him and the scamps. Will be interesting to see how many people / cars we can recognise. Keep in touch.
John
John

Number of posts : 159
Job/hobbies : .
Registration date : 2009-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf on Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Hellow Henry,it's good to here from the SOC founder's son. Fred,indeed was a great fellow and I have fond memories when I met him at the Ottershaw picnics. His old Scamp turned up a about 8 - 10 years ago at one of the Southern Mini Days events at the Paddock Wood Hop Farm(they have been at Bewel Water over recent years).I remember him making his Scamp to his exacting standards and it was a brilliant piece of work.I remember when Fred threw in the towel with the SOC and emigrated to New Zealand,I think it took everyone by surprise at the time,but Steve Taylor took on the reigns and kept the flag flying.If my memory serves me right,he did come over for a visit at some point and caught up with us all. Anyway,it would be good to meet up with you sometime. Excuse the slightly blurred picture(I think that could be you and your dad behind the Scamp);

wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1035
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger on Mon May 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Henry,

Yes, please do post some early pics. A couple of mine from the '85 Picnic (I think):

Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 894
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, dancing master
Registration date : 2008-06-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HenryCake on Tue May 29, 2012 12:31 am

thanks for those pictures as much as i have enough pictures of him its always good too see new ones! will put the pictures up in the not too distant future i even have a trophy....best modification award i think.

and yes dan saaf he did leave quite "randomly" and it was all rather off the cuff, he wishes he started something similar to scamp owners over here....instead he brought a boat and a Triumph Bonneville 2002 which took up all his time and money Very Happy would love to come to a meeting one day...maybe when im over next i shall stop by?

HenryCake

Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : student/woodworker
Registration date : 2011-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top