» Mk2 on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Neil's Incident

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Neil's Incident

Post  nhazelwood on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 am

Just a quick update...

Insurance is settled...(more details when the cheque has cleared), Walle is due to land on my drive first thing tuesday morning.

Just some logistical issues to sort out...
I've been using the works lwb renault master van over christmas,(as transport & also no room to put it into the factory over festive period)' which is taking up most of the drive at the moment.

My old golf estate is due to be scrapped off tmrw, freeing up essential drive space. Plus i've lost some garage space due to some odds & sods falling of the golf, with an eye to morphing themselves into walle ..
I'm hopefully buying a new runabout tomorrow (today now !), which will have to live on the grass until the factory had been tidied & the van can go back to work.

Hopefully tuesday night i can start to assess the extent of the work to do....& start stripping some bits off.

The thoughts are there for what i'm going to do, Walle will be back better & much stronger......muuuuhhhhhaaaaahhhhaaaaaaa.

More to follow

Neil
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Neil,

something that might be of interest to you. I've just been speaking to a chap that competes in a Vauxhal XE engined Mini. What's interesting is that he uses an un-modified Mini subframe! The trick is to use MGF rear uprights with the MGF bottom balljoint fitted at the top to retain the Mini top arms and cones. The bottom arms are fabricated and the drive shafts are MGF/Vauxhall hybrids. This means you could fit your Single cam vauxhall motor and F15 box into the resurected Wall-e without suffering the geometry changes you experienced during development.

Simples! Very Happy

He directed me to the 16v Mini forum for further guidance.
TRR Motorsport

Number of posts : 1320
Job/hobbies : Being British!
Registration date : 2008-05-19

View user profile http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Hmmm, that sounds interesting James...but...too easy for a scamp...hehe.

Got some long & short term plans....

1st off sympathetically extend the front by 50-60mm, (got to cutout the complete loop around the front end off anyway, its fubar).
Reinforce the chassis around the subframe top mounts.
Bolt up a new unmodified subframe (on rear mounting points only).
Leave engine in twisted subframe & use as a rough measurement guide.
Weld braces (with gussets this time) from the top turrets forwards & around the engine to form a cradle. (Some bits will be removable to get engine in.)
Move the engine forwards approx 30mm, & move the front mounting point of the bottom arm back & shorten the suspension arm pin. This will allow the cv joint hole in the subframe to be significantly reinforced & strengthen the suspension mounting points.
All the mods to the subframe will be carried out before any cutting of the subframe.
Hopefully i'll be reinforcing the front chassis to have new mounting points for the subframe at the top as well (just below bonnet level).
The aim is to have amost a box section cube, with body mounting points at all corners (if this makes sense, if it doesn't make sense....its been a long week).
Also the rubber cones will probably be replaced with coilovers.

The reason i'm moving the engine fowards is for the long term plan...just bought a new cheap runabout while i repair walle...vauxhall astra 1.6 16v ecotec (XE16XEL) with auto box. 74kw or 99bhp in old money & the engine block is the same casting as the C14NZ, so the same engine mounts, making a simple swap over (just more bloody wiring)
Will need to move engine forwards to clear 16v head & inlet system.
Just need to get an F13WR box to replace walle's F10 one...muuhhhhaaaaa....40 more horses to play with.

Walle is on my drive now, just waiting for insurance check....hopefully get some pics on sunday while i start stripping it down (watch it bloody rain on sunday now)

Neil
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The spanners are out...

Post  nhazelwood on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Rebuild has started....woohoo
Done some quick alignment checks & taken some measurements........oh shite...

Distributor - smashed low tension plug socket off - scrap.
Radiator - bent, mangled & holed - scrap.
Fan - casing in 8 pieces, 2 blades split - scrap.
Headlights - both smashed - scrap.
Indicators- 1smashed, 1cracked - scrap.
Number plate- 14 seperate pieces spread across redditch - scrap.
Front grille- bent & buckled - scrap.
Front panel - totally buckled - scrap.
Bonnet - buckled & twisted - scrap.
Bonnet pins - bent - scrap.
Subframe- twisted - scrap.
Engine mounts - bent & cracked - scrap.
Front wing panels- buckled - scrap.
Pedal box - buckled, twisted & cracked welds - scrap.
Front chassis - from windscreen forwards every tube is either bent, buckled or twisted - scrap.
Bulkhead - buckled from engine smashing into it - scrap.
Inner wing panels - smashed or buckled - scrap.
Horn still works tho' !!!!

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Still waiting on the cheque from the insurance co too.....

Oh well back to work, what else will fall off in my hands tnt !!

Neil
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rebuild

Post  Mk3rob on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey Neil

You know after you originally built it, how many times did you say "if i did it again i would"

Well away you go then Twisted Evil

Best of luck and if you need a hand, SHOUT out on the forum and we'll see what we can arrange. Hug
Mk3rob

Number of posts : 2221
Job/hobbies : DIY, Cars, reading and survival!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Parts.

Post  Mr Bridger on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Niel,

Have a set of brand new small headlights and bowls I can donate to the cause..............

And a second hand pedal box if you are stuck.
Mr Bridger

Number of posts : 213
Job/hobbies : Coach at Currys. Kit cars, travelling, films,

View user profile http://ITALIANJOBTOURS.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Cheers for the offer MrB,

Got boxed headlights in the loft, & the pedal box is already a hybrid astra/mini one.
Going to reconfigure the pedals quite radically, seamlessly blend in with a corsa b power steering column.

Better log off, driving up to scotland in 4hrs time...who needs sleep !

Neil
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Just a quick update...

Many thanks to MikeW for the garage tour & the subframe.

Old subframe, engine & suspension are now removed & sat on the drive.
Drilled & tapped out the replacement subframe tower bolt holes to take M10 high tensile bolts (thats grade 12.9 dave Smile ).
Subframe bolted in on the drivers side tower & the lower bolts at the rear of the subframe.
Front of the subframe is temp welded to the bent front chassis to lock it in place.
As Walle's an early mk2, the tower mounts aren't reinforced, & the pass side is bent & wont line up (about 5mm off).

This weeks job (if i get bl##dy time) is to temp weld the subframe turrets to the chassis in the correct place, cut off scrap mount & replace with a fully triangulated one. Plenty of gusset action going on this week i think. Its going to be overkill & probably add 100's of kg to weight, but i dont care if he's going to turn into a little tank !

Just got to try & get enough time to get down to steel stockholders tmrw.

On a side note, the reason i still haven't got the insurance cheque thro...(as i found out by letter from ins co on friday) is that the scamp is listed as having outstanding finance on it ....WTF!!!!! More phone calls to make tmrw ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Before you ask Rob, i'll try & post some pics if i ever get to work on Walle in daylight !!

Neil
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:34 pm

More carrots Neil Smile
Mk3rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OSR on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 pm

nhazelwood wrote:
On a side note, the reason i still haven't got the insurance cheque thro...(as i found out by letter from ins co on friday) is that the scamp is listed as having outstanding finance on it ....WTF!!!!!

Outstanding finance on a Scamp rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
OSR

Number of posts : 404
Job/hobbies : Scamping!
Registration date : 2009-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 pm

WIKAPEDIA;

"MODERN FINANCE IS A FAMILY OF BUSINESS ACTIVITY THAT INCLUDES THE ORIGININATION,MARKETING OF CASH AND MONEY SURROGATES THROUGH A VARIETY OF CAPITAL ACCOUNTS,INSTRUMENTS,AND MARKETS CREATED FOR TRANSACTING AND TRADE ASSETS." ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

INSRUMENT;VIOLIN
TRADE ASSETS;SCAMP
SO,IN ESSENCE OUTSTANDING FINANCE = DON'T BE ON THE FIDDLE IN YOUR OUTSTANDING SCAMP!!

Good luck with your insurance company Neil.
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1033
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Who fancies a good laugh...

Phoned insurance company today about the "outstanding finance" on Walle...

According to a search on walle's VIN number, there is outstanding finance. So they gave me details of the finance co,(Close Business Finance) & the agreement reference.

Phoned CBF, gave them the agreement ref & yes finance is still outstanding....hmm....but as the agreement is not in my name, they can't tell me details.

Asked the lady from CBF if walle's registration number appears on the agreement......she replied no, we've got no record of that reg on our system........?

Now the punchline.......as far as the insurance co are concerned, my Mk2 Mini Scamp Kit Car is actually an SMV Load Leveller, or in laymans term its a F##KING FORKLIFT TRUCK...

Yet another phone call to insurance co tomorrow i think !

BOLLOCKS
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 pm

So you have a DVLA issued V5 with Walle's VIN number and reg. mark and have been insuring him with said insurance company but only now do they think something is amiss?

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid
SUMB

Number of posts : 530
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:09 pm

A bit more research has turned up that walle's vin no is the same as the serial number for a piece of industrial plant. HPI have got some wires crossed somewhere.
i've actually got one of these apparantly...

http://www.nibbler.com/smv-decoiler.asp
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:26 pm

It's all a big con isn't it! All these companies want your money but don't want to give it back to you when it's their leagl obligation to do so.

I bet you're so pissed off with them and the system now aren't you. It's just about now that the stress of the situation would be bringing that whiplash injury to the fore! Twisted Evil
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Mk3rob on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Steady on
It might be worth more than Walle Twisted Evil
Mk3rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Back in the 80's we had the Scamp Picnic at Robert Mandry's place,I remember one of the things he designed was a piece of equipment for spooling barbed wire which he was manufacturing whilst we were there,along with the Mk2 Scamp,the RTV,and tipper trailers made of Bedford Rascal pick up bodies?????????????????????????????????????????? How weird!!!
wezgit daan saaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Hopefully a simple question, (for a change)...

What size clearance hole do i need to drill for a cone compressor to pass thro' ?

Might get a chance to machine the new turret top mounts at work this week, and i could do with knowing what the diameter of the cone compressor is.

First set of tubes for turret mounts cut & tack welded tonight.

Cheers in advance

Neil
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Seem to remember that 14mm is about right, but it wouldn't matter if you went 16 or 18mm really.

The hole in the top of the subframe will get you a good clue. Don't cut it too fine as you will find the cones never line up perfectly.
SUMB

Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:27 pm

If my memory serves me rightly(it often dosn't these days),the thread size was 5/8th unf/unc depending on the age of the cone,so,as long as you have clearance then it'll go through.I will check tommorrow,we have the tool.
wezgit daan saaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Cheers for the info Chris & Chaz.

Just a quick disclaimer...these pictures may contain images of welds which may cause anxiety & distress to those with more welding skills than me...no attempt has been made at cleaning up & fettling of welds, and they are only temporary till i get a new welder.

Heres the new turret mount, fresh from the factory last night (machined the holes in on the miller & turned the inserts on the works lathe).

[img][/img] & [img][/img]

Shiny tower mount was then bolted in place & the inserts welded. Front to rear braces were made earlier in the week & were clamped in place, then welded to tower mount & dashboard rail.

[img][/img]

Angled braces & spacer tubes have now been welded in as well as starting to plate in the tube joints. (Got loads of 3,4 & 5mm plate ready for uber gusseting !)

[img][/img]

Now the subframe is solidly mounted at the rear end, i've cut the bent front hoop off for improved access. The front of the subframe doesn't show any wobble, but i've added temporary tubes to support it from the floor.
This weeks puzzler is sorting out the front mounts for the subframe. As i'm looking to extend the front by 60mm & move the engine forwards by 30mm i've got some clearance issues to sort out with the exhaust downpipe & the front face of the subframe...CAD system is fired up & saving me a small fortune in incorrectly cut tube lengths. The real scamp is actually lookng quite a bit like my scamp 3d model...for a change.

If anyone can't wait to see what i've got planned, i might be persuaded to post up the virtual scamp...hehe.

Time for a Stella i think.
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Lookin' extremely professional Neil,I think you deserve that Stella,in fact I might have one with you!
wezgit daan saaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Think you might regret welding the diagnal brace to the sub-frame top, only really needs welding to the top subframe mounting cross member - especially as you might want to seam weld the tower top for strength Very Happy

But looking really good mate
SUMB

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Chaz,

The diagonal brace from the top of the subframe turret is only temporary

I've bolted the subframe using the rear lower mounting holes, then temp welded the complete subframe to the chassis to lock it in the right position. Once i've welded the new sections of chassis in, the temp braces will be cut off, allowing the subframe to be unbolted.

Have to agree chaz, i'll definately be seam welding the subframe. The old subframe has split several times around the turrets. May even consider wrapping and seam welding strips of 3mm plate around the parts i've already had crack / split.
nhazelwood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TRR Motorsport on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am

Have you thought about a finish for the subframes?

I after i had seam welded and braced the subframes for my Mini i had them powdercoated satin black. They look stunning.

I'm now a powdercoat convert Very Happy
TRR Motorsport

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next