Mini Scamp Owners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» MKII project
by PostageScamp Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:59 pm

» Mk1 chassis and panels on eBay
by OldMK1 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 am

» Mk3 back from Mongolia
by Admin Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

» Mk 1 chassis
by OldMK1 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:00 pm

» Re rack *************************
by Rum Tum Tugger Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am

» mk 3 project on Ebay
by Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

» Wooden Hustler
by OldMK1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:03 pm

» Its back on again or scammed
by Rum Tum Tugger Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 am

» Mk3 GT NOT reg'd
by Mk3rob Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am

Softer Suspension !!

+3
wezgit daan saaf
Martin & Nettie
nhazelwood
7 posters

Go down

Softer Suspension !! Empty Softer Suspension !!

Post  nhazelwood Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any experience of using softer rubber cones ? Or even tweaking the existing mini ones to soften the ride ?

Walle's rear end is very very firm, even with the shocks set at their softest setting. So it looks like the rubber cones need to be softer. I know i can get softer rubber cones, & even the coil-over conversion, (being tested by Mr B) but i'm on a very tight budget. Crying or Very sad

Was wondering if turning them down a bit, or drilling some holes in would be a cheap alternative ?
A quick squirt with the freeze spray to harden the rubber, then a quick bit of machining (turning or drilling).

Regards,

Neil
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Softer Suspension !! Empty Re: Softer Suspension !!

Post  Martin & Nettie Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 pm

I remember Mr Shelley drilled his, which made the back softer but the chassis broke at Stoneleigh when he gave fourrather large women (standing up in th back of his Mk2) a lift back to the camping area so you take yer choice affraid

PS perhaps thats why hydrolastic suspension was used on the Metro.
Martin & Nettie
Martin & Nettie

Number of posts : 1216
Job/hobbies : Former SOC President and Secretary - its up to Mr Wezgit & Nettie now
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  wezgit daan saaf Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm

No easy fix that I can think of,the hard suspension is what made it handle so good,if you wanted soft suspension you bought a "LANDCRAB" (Morris 1800). They did fit Hydroelastic suspension to the Minis in the mid 60's to the early 70's and even later than that on the Riley Elfs and Wolsely Hornet but the Hydroelastic suspension ones had different subframes. I believe there are coil spring conversions available now,as opposed to "coilover" shock absorbers.How soft or hard they would be I wouldn't know.
wezgit daan saaf
wezgit daan saaf

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Mechanic/Scamps & family
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I originally tried that trick of drilling holes in the rubber cones. However this just made them sag - it didn't seem to alter the spring rate at all, you could still feel every bump in the road. Fortunately, the car still stuck to the road horizontally as well. I've still got a couple somewhere if you'd like to try them.

Mini Magazine covered coil springs briefly last January (Ask the Experts, p.96): the gist of it was that they'll last longer than rubbers but not give the same combination of comfort & roadholding, between which there's a tradeoff anyway. It was also mentioned that post 1988 Rover cones have a very short useful life, and are best replaced with either standard or uprated ones from someone like Minispares.
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician

Back to top Go down

Softer Suspension !! Empty The Coil !!

Post  mikescamp Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:57 am

these springs just replace the rubber cones when using standard hi lo's looks easy to do once you have suitable springs might give it a go once the weather warms up !!! just need to source suitable springs for at least £200 less than the asking price !!!

Ebay Item number: 360313555511

Mini Coil Kit Fast Road Includes Hi Lows Made In Uk
Once Fitted You will Never Go Back To Rubber Cones
Item condition: New
Item location:
P&L MINIS
34 HIGH STREET
THURNSCOE
ROTHERHAM
South Yorkshire
S630SU
United Kingdom
Classified ad price: £228.85

mikescamp
mikescamp

Number of posts : 46
Job/hobbies : IT/scamping,planting
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rum Tum Tugger Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:14 am

just need to source suitable springs for at least £200 less than the asking price
Keep watching e-Bay and see if any used ones turn up. Of course if they do, it may mean they weren't that good after all. Suspect
Rum Tum Tugger
Rum Tum Tugger

Number of posts : 1000
Job/hobbies : Retired computer boffin, Morris musician

Back to top Go down

Softer Suspension !! Empty RE:Soft Suspension!!

Post  GT3Rob Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi there its been a while, You dont have to pay £200 for srpring kit! Try what steve has done and get your self the front springs only.

No good going for fast road if you want a softer ride, go for town ride like an 80,s French car. I should be going down this route from Minitastic myself.

Spoke to James (Stanford hall) with regards to the rears being run with extension arms & 13" wheels that seems to open a right can of worms.
Any thought of previous atempts please??

Will let you know how it goes when up and running on mk3 project.
Spoke to Mr B he suggested £70-£80 for the fronts isnt that what x2 new cones would be.

What about just replacing to New quality cones, Your old ones are probably shot anyway?

GT3Rob
GT3Rob

Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Retro Cars, Unfinished projects, cars from 1960,s onwards.
Registration date : 2008-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  nhazelwood Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:27 pm

I can say without a shadow of doubt, the cones i've got must be made from rock instead of rubber.

Of the top of my head, i think the front cones are about £55 each, Minitastic springs are about £90 pair. The only problem with the Minitastic springs are that they're made for use with the Minitastic Hilo's. I've got the minisport cheap Hilo's Which are the cast ally ones. Looking at the Minitastic Hilo's they're CNC turned & look as tho they've been made with more material for the spring face to sit on.

Hopefully next sunday i can start stage 1 of the front suspension mods. Awaiting deliveries from Minisport & Mini Spares this week with the following goodies.

Heavy duty fully adjustable tie rods.
New tie rod bushes.
New knuckle joints (swivel pins).
Fully adjustable bottom arms.
Offset load bottom arm bushes.

This will hopefully help to straighten the suspension geometry up !
I've hung fire on the cones, as i've got a slightly heavier Vauxhall engine up front & i want to check out the loadings on the front to see which type of cone/coil system i will go with.

With the Kangaroo back, i'm looking at something a bit weird/exotic...Imagine the b#st#rd love child of a fully adjustable coilover spring & a Hilo...(Cad station is warming up ready). Just need to get some 6065 ally billet & access to the lathe !.
nhazelwood
nhazelwood

Number of posts : 259
Job/hobbies : Design Engineer, Insomniac, General Bodger
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  SUMB Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:32 pm

nhazelwood wrote:I can say without a shadow of doubt, the cones i've got must be made from rock instead of rubber.
................................................................ With the Kangaroo back, i'm looking at something a bit weird/exotic...Imagine the b#st#rd love child of a fully adjustable coilover spring & a Hilo...(Cad station is warming up ready). Just need to get some 6065 ally billet & access to the lathe !.

Just a thought here, I have just replaced the concrete Dunlop cones that were in the front of the MK2 with the Mini Sport 'Smootha Rides' and a very cheap pair of Hi-Lo's. I can't believe how much it has transformed the ride. No more crashing and banging of the front end, just rides smoothly over the bumps.

So I too am now looking at softening the rear up a little and was wondering last night if it would be possible to fit the 'Smootha Ride' front cones in the rear.

One major factor is that they are taller than the standard cone and as I found out yesterday, they are impossible to fit without a cone compressor. Even with the Hi-Lo adjusted right down you simply could not get the top arm back in so the rear trumpet extensions on the Hi-Lo's might have to be shortened slightly.

SUMB
SUMB

Number of posts : 531
Job/hobbies : Bike spares / Trying to figure out how to try and get to Mongolia again - soon!
Registration date : 2008-06-01

http://www.bombercountyminis.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down